1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Tractor--to scoot, or not to scoot

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oldpilot, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Oldpilot

Oldpilot Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2016
    Hopefully this is the proper area to post about the topic of chicken tractors.

First questions and then go from there:
    First off I'm looking for a design or pics of a Large tractor that can house up 17 + or - a couple birds that are Laying hens. I prefer to build out of wood instead of PVC, but will look at PVC designs. I looked at the "hen hideout" here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hen-hideout
    That is a brilliant design, but too small for my needs. I even planned out one similar on Sketchup twice that size, and it's still a bit lacking. I was going to use the one IBC tote tank for the coop part, but that could only house 8 birds at max. 48"x48"x40"

I'm thinking of either good strong tarps from Amazon, or go with corrugated panel, which I'm no fan of due to the gaps (snakes). Of course I could put on hardware cloth, then panel over the cloth...
    Anyway. I've looked through designs here so far and have found nothing for Layers yet.[​IMG]

Help?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
  3. Oldpilot

Feb 22, 2016
    Thanks for the input, but nah, I don't like that particular one.
    Now on page 13 of 1000+ of the coop pictures....Sigh. I do have a rough idea of what I want to do. Thinking in the area of a 12'x16' or 10'x16'. If we can get lumber that long delivered. Our one close main source for lumber stopped doing deliveries. Always something.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Problem is making '17 birds' and 'tractor' go together......hard to have a coop big enough and still be mobile.

Do you plan on free ranging?

Think trailer...build large coop on trailer and move with ATV or garden tractor or car/van/truck.

5. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    How level is your ground? That big will be hard to keep tight to the ground.

6. Oldpilot

Feb 22, 2016
    Trailer means free ranging, and that ain't happening here with all the hawks, even if I had electric fence.
    Been working on a design. 8'x16' with a 4'x8' coop on the "back" end. Doing CAD in Sketchup.
    17 birds were ordered, will all 17 survive? Time will tell.

7. Oldpilot

Feb 22, 2016
    I plan on making a 24" wide skirt or apron out of hardware cloth (1/2 or 1/4 inch) along all sides that is removable. Ground is sloping in some spots, but flat enough in most areas for a 8'x16' tractor. (See above.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    4x8 is really small for that many birds.
    What is your climate?

9. Oldpilot

Feb 22, 2016
    Just woke up, getting coffee, and chicks are at post office. Wife is getting them. Thought just crossed my mind that I asked the first questions on this thread, and nobody has any solutions or ideas either, just More questions....
    Such is life. I'm getting too old and mean for this in the morning. [​IMG]

Climate is mississippi-ish

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You got a couple answers, you just didn't like them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by