Chicken tractor vs. Stationary Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JellyBeanCee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JellyBeanCee

JellyBeanCee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well...best laid plans...we were working on building a chicken tractor, hadn't seen any predators/pests in the area the entire time we've been here. Got our chicks a week ago today and last night a possum came right up to the back door, wasn't scared of us or the dogs at all. He walked all over the place. Also in the past week we've seen a raccoon & coyote in the area. Ugh! So I'm wondering, would I be better off nixing the chicken tractor idea and going with a stationary chicken coop instead. I'm worried about the security of the tractor. Opinions?

2. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We have a raised coop in the middle of a stationary run. The coop has a door that can be closed and locked. WE have not had anything get into this coop as of yet.

Here is the coop. The coop is 8x4, the run is 8x14.

From the open door to the run looking into the coop. (Thats oviously right after we moved it! The ground is clean lol, otherwise my daughter would not be on the ground)
    [​IMG]

From the side. (We added to the roof since this picture (The side door is for the eggs)
    [​IMG]

The inside with one of the back doors open. We have since lined this inside with corrugated plastic, which is light, cheap, warm and washable!
    [​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    We're in the middle of builing a chicken tractor. I think it's a good Idea to move them to get fresh grass.[​IMG]

4. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    I have a movable coop w/run on the botom with wheels. This is built like a prison.It is safe and secure for the night.I also have a 6' x12' "A" frame tractor that butts up to the coop.It can be moved to new grass in the afternoon.The coop gets moved every 3 days.As light as i thought I built the coop it is very heavy to move.I have now started to move it with my garden mower.

5. JellyBeanCee

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for your input and the great pics too. I felt pretty secure with my inital idea, but after seeing this totally unafraid possum last night, I wasn't so sure about it.

6. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I have both a stationary coop/run that's solid and safe, and a portable chicken tractor that's used for day use and while not as tough as the coop/run is still enclosed to protect from above. I wouldn't leave them in there overnight, I too have been listening to the coyotes howling in the fall.
    [​IMG]

7. JellyBeanCee

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Might have to do a small mobile unit like that just so they can move around to different places to leave their "presents". It's just so frustrating...we had seen absolutely nothing for the entire time we've lived at our new place and then we get chicks and BAM...predators are everywhere! Grumblecakes!!!

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Well, at least they showed up before you built it, instead of after you built it. I just assume anything that lives in this state will eventually show up looking for a chicken dinner and build accordingly.

I prefer stationary housing for the main flock, but that's because we have severe winters and the rest of the time we free range. If you have to keep them confined, mobile housing to have them on fresh grass is really nice. We built a chicken tractor for a grow out pen and it works great.

You can design your tractor so that the chickens have an enclosed house, with a door that locks, if you want to give them more night time security.

You could also add hinged hardware cloth panels as an apron around the outside edges, to prevent digging. When you need to move it, just flip them up and tie or clip them, to keep them out of the way. After the tractor is moved, put them down again. You can use little landscape fabric pins just to tack down the edge in a place or two, if they need it in some locations. Some pins are made with a nice finger loop at the top, to make pulling them out easy.

I would definitely go with 1/2" hardware cloth on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by