chicken tractor...well, ex-pen, really

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by watchdogps, Jul 22, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I have my inside the barn enclosure ready, but I may not have my outdoor pen done as soon as I'd like. I'm thinking I may use one of my dog ex-pens as an outdoor yard for the chickens in the meantime. Since the pens are only 30 in high, I will cover it with something (thinking a bedsheet and clothspins - it will only be daytime and while I am home, so predation shouldn't be an issue) to deter them from flying. The pens are 8 panels of 24 inches each that can be arranged however I want. How many birds (mine will be bantams) would be okay in that space and how often should I move it? Also, there are some crabapple trees in the yard. I was thinking that would be a good place - shade, fruit and bugs! Any problems with that idea?

2. BarredRock971

BarredRock971 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I did that too! It works really well. I'm not sure how many bantams, I have 6 9 week old standard size chickens in it. You probably would want to move it ever couple days, my chickens make dust bath areas. [​IMG] I don't see any problems with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by