1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChrisnTiff, Jan 19, 2007.

1. ChrisnTiff

ChrisnTiff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Crane, Missouri
    Here is a pic of a chicken tractor I built a few years ago. We never keep chickens in full time we mainly use it for transitioning from the brooder to free range. We have also used it for isolating new birds and for breaking up a broody hen or two. We originally built it for starting our cornish x but it is not big enough and just adapted it for other uses.

[​IMG]

It was very easy to build out of recycled materials. It only took a couple of hours to build and a couple of hours to stain.

Chris

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hey, that's pretty cool. Thanks for posting!

I really need to build one of those for my chicken weed abatement!

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hey Chris, that is a really nice tractor.
    Does it have wire on the bottom also?
    Do I see two little wheels on each side of the short boards at the back end?
    What did you use for axles?

I love stuff that folks build out of recycled stuff.

chel

4. ChrisnTiff

ChrisnTiff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Crane, Missouri
    It doesn't have wire on the bottom but we don't have a big predator problem here. It does have wheels that i salvaged off of an old toy of the kids. I just used a couple of 1/4 inch 3 inch long lag bolts screwed into the side of the frame as axles. This makes it very easy to drag around the yard or pasture.

Chris

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    That's really cool!

6. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    My tractor looks a lot like yours [​IMG] I built mine out of 2"x2" redwood, dimensions are 4' x 6' and 2' high with the lid opening on the top.

I place my tractor where ever I want in the yard, then I let the chickens out of their run and throw a little scratch inside the tractor and they all run in...then I place it flat on the ground. I use an old step stool to prop it up while the chickens under. The lid on top is perfect for giving them treats and refilling their water. My home made feeder also fits inside.

Pics to follow...

--Hugh

7. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Daytime tractor has removable OSB cover sheets for added shade and additional weight to keep my cats from gaining entry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by