Chicken tractor

ChrisnTiff

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Crane, Missouri
Here is a pic of a chicken tractor I built a few years ago. We never keep chickens in full time we mainly use it for transitioning from the brooder to free range. We have also used it for isolating new birds and for breaking up a broody hen or two. We originally built it for starting our cornish x but it is not big enough and just adapted it for other uses.

chickentractor.jpg

It was very easy to build out of recycled materials. It only took a couple of hours to build and a couple of hours to stain.

Chris

Hey Chris, that is a really nice tractor.
Does it have wire on the bottom also?
Do I see two little wheels on each side of the short boards at the back end?
What did you use for axles?

I love stuff that folks build out of recycled stuff.

chel

It doesn't have wire on the bottom but we don't have a big predator problem here. It does have wheels that i salvaged off of an old toy of the kids. I just used a couple of 1/4 inch 3 inch long lag bolts screwed into the side of the frame as axles. This makes it very easy to drag around the yard or pasture.

Chris

My tractor looks a lot like yours
smile.png
I built mine out of 2"x2" redwood, dimensions are 4' x 6' and 2' high with the lid opening on the top.

I place my tractor where ever I want in the yard, then I let the chickens out of their run and throw a little scratch inside the tractor and they all run in...then I place it flat on the ground. I use an old step stool to prop it up while the chickens under. The lid on top is perfect for giving them treats and refilling their water. My home made feeder also fits inside.

Pics to follow...

--Hugh

Back
Top Bottom