Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shanglen, Nov 18, 2007.

1. shanglen

shanglen New Egg

Nov 17, 2007
    Whidbey Island WA
    We are new to chickens and have ours in a chicken tractor. We are keeping 5 hens and the tractor is in our back yard which is about 150 x 300 feet. We move the tractor every day so they get fresh greens. Is this adequate?

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    sounds good got mine in a tractor but my yard is alittle bigger.
    Henry

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You shouldn't have any problems with that big of a lawn. Overall climate and how fast the grass grows are the real factors though.

The same issue farmers run across. Some areas you can graze a cow on 1/2 acre and in others it takes 2 or more.

4. shanglen

shanglen New Egg

Nov 17, 2007
    Whidbey Island WA
    Thanks for the input. The grass seems to grow overnite here in Pacific NW Washington. I have the tractor in the areas I hate to mow because the grass grows soooo fast!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's probably big enough. I have 14 chicks doing grass kill duty in a oh... 20 by 60 spot? They are doing a pretty good number on the place, as half of it is almost all gone!

6. shanglen

shanglen New Egg

Nov 17, 2007
    Whidbey Island WA
    Quote:Thank you so much! I had chickens when I was a teenager but that was %$#@ years ago! I think I have forgotten a bunch. My 4yo DD LOVES the chickens and counting the eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by