Chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chanty, Jun 12, 2011.

1. chanty

chanty Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    How do I get my girls into the chicken tractor aside from running after them, picking them up one by one and putting them inside it? Any suggestions?

2. littlesara11

littlesara11 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    [​IMG]I can get my girls to follow me anywhere by putting a little scratch feed in a plastic cup and shaking it. They will follow me and then I open the door that goes to their run and throw the scratch in as a reward. Works every time for me and believe me I am a novice when it comes to chickens. But I found like many other animals I have trained the way to their brain is through their stomachs. Good Luck.[​IMG]

3. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:ditto

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Or you can catch them and put them in while they are asleep on the roosts. Just use as little light as possible.

5. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    Quote:Next time you put your girls in the tractor, lock the door and leave them 2 or 3 days. they will learn that the tractor is home and return every night. If you move the tractor very far you will have to do this all over again.
    The reason I know this, been there done that.
    We moved our tractor one day, about 50 yards from the origional spot. at bed time our girls just went back to the old location and set down. we had to lock them in for another 2 days to reset their brains again. hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by