1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Tractors For Meaties - show me yours - please??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mcf3kids, Jun 19, 2011.

1. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Hubby and I have our chicken coop for our hens and a dozen buff orpingtons we plan on using for meaties but I would like to create a chicken tractor for a batch of cornish x to raise. If we do a batch of 25 birds what size tractor would we need to build? If you have a picture of your set up that would help a lot - thank you!! [​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We keep 50-60 meaties in a 10x10 tractor. I'll try to remember to take a picture when I go down to the farm tomorrow to feed everyone.

3. mcf3kids

Mar 24, 2011
    Thank you that would be great - really curious how people do it

4. fair weather chicken

fair weather chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    look up polyface farm. joel salatin has pictures of his tractors. he has 75 in a 12 x 16 so 8 x 6 should be more than large enough. we have raised 85 in the 12 x 16. some times moved twice a day. we used 2 x 2's for the framing,chicken wire, and siding we pulled off our mobile home when we re sided. the sides were 2 ft tall.

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    bigreadfeather has a picture of his Salatin style tractor in this sticky post. Good luck! I have to build one this weekend or the next.

6. mcf3kids

Mar 24, 2011
    Thank you for the responses and the links to the post - hubby is going to create something this week so we can get started on our next meaties adventure! We have a fair amount of land but I'm not sure about moving it daily and if we will have enough green for them - will they eat up all the grass under the tractor each day? Does it kill the grass where it has been or does it recover enough to move them back to it in another week or so? I can just imagine bald, dirt patches where the tractor has sat (am I off base here??)[​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
  8. If I am doing a small batch between 5 & 10 I use this garden/coop for my meaties.

9. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

When you're raising meat birds in a tractor, am I correct that they stay in there 24x7? (You don't put them in a separate coop overnight?)

It looks like many of the tractors are open at the bottom and I'm just wondering how you avoid a predator digging under the edge. Or do they usually have wire bottoms and I just don't see it in the pictures?

I'm about to set one up for a hen that's due to hatch next weekend and want to re-use it for meat birds later.

-Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by