Chicken Tractors?

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
Hello,
I have been doing a lot of research, and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for a chicken tractor for my youngest rooster so he can have his own flock and stop fighting with my older rooster. Does anyone have some pictures to share of your chicken tractors?

I like to be able to sit with my chickens, so the tractor can't be too short. It also can't be too heavy. Because I will be the only one moving it around everyday. I'm hoping for a decent sized chicken tractor that will hold a little more than the average 6 chickens, and still not be too heavy. Maybe a hoop coop?

If you could please post some pictures of your chicken tractors, and then tell me how many chickens you keep in yours, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, is it possible for my flock to live in the chicken tractor all year around? They will be able to free range in the summer, (possibly) I'm just worried about them getting too cold in the summer, or that they will get wet when it rains.

I Built mine from a trampoline frame. Cut it in half and welded it together by the bottom legs. Added long runners to slide it on the grass.
Do your chickens live in it full time? If they do, what do you do for winter? Just a tarp? (sorry about all of the questions)

I just used it in the summer when I have grass and use it for meaties or raising up chicks. I put the trampoline cover on half of it for shade and water run off.. I had a box in there for them to go into at night.. But you could easily add something to an end for a permanent roost.. put wheels on it to make it easier to move.. I would move mine weekly.

I welded a door frame in the side to pass through.

Last edited:
That is a really neat idea. I might be able to find some way to make it a more permanent living space. How many chickens can you keep in your chicken tractor?

I had about 20 or so in there at one point, combination of Cornish X and other youngster. Ended up with 15 up to 5mo. Then moved them into the big coop with the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom