Chicken training

Star and eclipsa

Songster
Nov 3, 2017
Clermont, Florida
I got a chicken harness for christmas and my sister said she is gonna get me another one soon so I need to harness-train my chickens so I can take them on walks through a park near my house that barely anyone goes to. There is tall grass there for them to play and forage in and it would be perfect if I could walk with them there, so I need to teach them to walk with me.

Good luck with your training. Chickens are smart, and they learn pretty quickly, but you need to take things gradually and in stages.

Your first step is to put the harness on the chicken and let them get used to it. Be prepared to see some funny gyrations as the chicken attempts to get out of it. I wouldn't try to walk in the park until the chicken is completely comfortable wearing the harness. There's more to do before that, though.

The next step is getting the chicken accustomed to being in a strange setting. That will require a gradual adjustment, too. You may need to work up to the "walking" part for as long as a week before the chicken is ready for it.

Be patient. Take it slow. Reward positive behavior. Treats work well to train chickens.

When I take my pet birds to park or other public places, which I do, they follow me with or without treats. This will even mature harem master game roosters with hen and chicks. They stick near what they know. When a dog comes in the harness would have major benefits in pulling bird up and out of dog's reach.

When I take my pet birds to park or other public places, which I do, they follow me with or without treats. This will even mature harem master game roosters with hen and chicks. They stick near what they know. When a dog comes in the harness would have major benefits in pulling bird up and out of dog's reach.

how do you get them to do that!?

Back
Top Bottom