Chicken Training

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Malibu99, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    So... I found my old dog 'clicker' the other day along with a few chicken training videos. I am planning to keep a record of Miracle's progress on this thread; Feel free to join me. :)

What I'm planning to train Miracle to do:

-Jump
    -Peck at a blue target (Most chickens peck at red; I want to see if they will do other colors)
    -Dance (that'll take awhile; but it is possible. And I'm prepared for the challenge.)
    -Obstacle courses

That's it for now, I might add more later. I will check off what she learns when she learns it.

I will also try to post videos of her tricks. Meanwhile, here's Miracle the chicken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    See if you can get her to fly point to point. Based on her looks she should be able to fly 10 feet horizontally with ease. You may also be able to train her to manipulate something to get a reward.

1 person likes this.
  3. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    I will try that; yep, she's flown 30 feet in one go before. The top of the coop (middle of yard) to the property line. She is kind of a runt... Not a bantam, yet not full sized. she is a sweetheart too; she will wear clothes, loves cuddling, and of she's free ranging and gets scared, or wants to be picked up, she will fly on top of the coop.

Just found out she will jump for crackers. LOL. I am thinking of maybe training her to grab and pull a tiny little wagon or something.

4. sharebear29

sharebear29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Cool...I need to keep an eye on this thread. I've considered trying to train some of mine...but not sure where to start.

Thank you.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Try live mealworms. She will put forth a lot more effort for those than for any other type of treat, even crackers.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Look at what I managed with minimal effort with chicks. Same birds as adults could be called by name through crowd of people to fly up into my hands.

7. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Wow, Centrarchid, that's awesome. I'll see if I can get live mealworms. :) Starting training today with dried mealworms for now... hopefully those will work.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Dried are not as effective.

9. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Okay, thanks. Where do you get live mealworms? I can't hatch my own. Will BOSS work better than dried mealworms? Those are the two things I do have.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Folks selling wild bird related products or pet stores. They cost about $7 per 500 mealworms but that can last a week's worth of training for one bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by