Chicken transport

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lovvictoria, Apr 3, 2012.

1. lovvictoria

lovvictoria Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Ok so i know this question isnt about, construction or maintance of a coop but i wasnt sure where to post it. I am new to urban chicken farming and our coop is almost done! So its almost time to go pick up the chickens we are getting from a farm (already at laying age) and i am curious as how we transport 4 grown chickens an hour to our home. I was told by my mother-in-law who used to have a farm the way they used to do it was to put each one into there own huge pillow case.....so is this how that is normally done because im new to all this? Im not sure if this is inhumane for the chickens or its just the way people do it? lost please help

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I just transported chickens several hundred miles and used a box for the smaller ones (they all were together). For the older, larger ones I got some cardboard carrier boxes from PetSmart - the ones used for cats/dogs that have holes for ventilation and a handle - put 1 chicken in each cardboard transport carrier. You could also use dog carriers/kennels. Kinda depends on the size of your vehicle.

3. lokua

lokua Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I just got two new adult silkies and a big box with some shavings and straw worked great. I poked lots of air holes in the sides and folded the top closed. It was nice and dark so they slept for most of the 90 minute ride.

4. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    I have used a rubbermaid laundry basket with lid (tall rectangular kind, laid on it's side and the lid tied shut with string), a plastic pet carrier, and a big metal animal cage I got for $10 off craigslist (not pretty, has no bottom tray, but works fine). I have a bunch of the cloth type pee pads from when my husband was sick that I put both underneath the container and inside the container, both to protect the vehicle from messes and to provide cushioning for animals (a sheet of plastic covered by newspaper or old towels would work underneath the container, and old towels are great for inside). I also take some towels to throw across the top of the carrier to block out light and calm them down, but you have to be careful not to cover it completely or they'll get too hot. When you get them home just throw all the material in the washer with hot water and bleach and you're good to go again.

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I use plastic pet carriers with a small amount of pine shavings in the bottom. That way they get plenty of air thru the door and side windows.

6. lovvictoria

lovvictoria Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks for the help everyone now i feel more confident about bringing my girls home
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by