1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken trapped for 2 days and is not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerGirl1223, Mar 8, 2017.

1. FarmerGirl1223

FarmerGirl1223 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    It was just a normal winter day.(well late afternoon) I was going out to feed, and water the chickens when I saw the bucket flipped over. I had not checked on the chickens today or yesterday because I had been really busy. Thinking a chicken had just knocked it over I looked under it for eggs.(they don't always lay them in the nest boxes)when I flipped the bucket over, I saw a chicken!
    She got up, looked around and slowly walked over to the water. The rest of the chickens,who were flying up to their roosts, barely noticed her. She drank water slowly, much slower than I would expect, and would not eat when I put food next to her. Then my rooster,who had noticed her, ran over to her and mounted her. Because he is still young and isn't good at mounting hens yet, his momentum pushed her into the water bucket. So now she was soaking wet. I brought her to my basement and put her in a dog crate to recover, I gave her food and water, and made sure she was warm. She is drinking slowly, but she is still not eating. Is there a way to gat her to eat? Should I just let her be? She has no visible wounds, but her eyes are squinted. I'm assuming that I shouldn't worry about that to much though, as were she is is rather bright. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would let her be, but keep her separately. You could add electrolyte solution to the water or a bit of brown sugar for quick energy. A teaspoon per quart. Either she will recover if she wasn't under there too long or won't if it has been longer than you thought. Hopefully by tomorrow she has straightened out.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Two days must have been forever to her. I would keep the roo away from her, she is no condition to fight him off. Were you able to dry her off ? I wonder if the pushy roo, is the reason she ended up under the bucket in the first place. Animals/people can go longer without food, than without water. So I wouldn't rush to feed her. But if she seems perkier tomorrow, I would put out something especially tempting, to see if she would eat it on her own.

4. FarmerGirl1223

FarmerGirl1223 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    It has been a day. She is dry now, but there is not much change other than that. She is still low energy. probably because she isn't eating much. She is drinking fine so I don't see why she won't eat. Does anyone know a way to get chickens to eat?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You can try something like scrambled eggs or other treats to tempt her.

6. FarmerGirl1223

FarmerGirl1223 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    She laid an egg, and then ate it. She also ate an apple core,and is eating a bit more of her pellets. so I'm not too worried, but she will stay separated until she is eating more. Thanks for the advice everyone[​IMG]

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It obviously was a very stressful few days under the bucket for her. Hopefully she keeps improving.

8. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Not to mention, her oxygen supply was likely very, very low under that bucket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by