Chicken Treadle Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by calista, May 19, 2010.

1. calista

calista Songster

Jan 27, 2010
    Well, I love the Learning Center pictures for the wooden treadle feeder:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-feeders.html

[​IMG]

I am baffled why SOMEONE out there with carpentry skills hasn't submitted plans to build one of these great little devices out of scrap wood. Have I missed the thread about this since someone from New Zealand asked for plans a year and a half ago???

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

Never seen that before. Amazing. I wonder how long it would take a chicken to not be frightened off by that lid popping up? My girls are such scaredy cats. I once put out a dish of French style green beans as a treat. They all backed into a corner as far away from that dish as they could get. They simply refused to go near it until I cut those beans up into smaller pieces. I kept wondering, what the heck kinda chicken predator looks like French style green beans??! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. beckt

beckt Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    LOL. Maybe killer green beans. You would have thought they would see them as big green worms.

4. calista

calista Songster

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm happy to report that I contacted a woodworker's website with pictures of this treadle feeder, and I have a promise that plans will be drawn up and posted FREE on their website within a couple of weeks.

Out of scrap materials, too! Woo-hoo! [​IMG]

5. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Quote:My girls hang out along the back part of the property that connects with the woods looking for baby blacksnakes, but if I break up some bread and throw it into the coop they all back into the corner - crazy brids!! lol

6. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

Aren't they just a stitch? I don't think a day goes by that they don't give me a good laugh or an "awww" moment.

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Songster

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Maybe they look like poisonous caterpillars?? I dunno....

I have cockatoos ( not chickens, of course) but ANYTHING strange ... their crests go up, they take off and look like something is gonna kill them [​IMG]

Quote:

8. TXbeginner

TXbeginner In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Quote:Sounds like my wife. I like green beans my self, she wont go near them. *shrugs*

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Got your double hinge reverse engineered tonight. Took 10 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

0.25" plywood will be the material it is built out of.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Nice job Dogfish!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by