chicken TREAT recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chixruleboysdrool, Oct 23, 2011.

1. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    I was in my kitchen experimenting and I came up with a new chicken treat. Scrambled eggs. (the chicken version) Here's the recipe:
    Crack 1 egg in a bowl
    Instead of adding milk, add chicken feed
    Stir
    Cook like scrambled eggs
    Hope your chickies like it, mine basically attacked me to get to it

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Sounds cool...I'll try it in the Spring. My older chickens are molting and the only ones laying are my one-year-olds. I only have 6 of them so we aren't getting enough eggs to play with right now. But I'll put this "recipe" in my Miscellaneous recipe file for safe keeping.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My girls (& rooster) get a scrambled egg - complete with shells) in oatmeal every morning.
    I add water, microwave it right in the bowl then stir in plain yogurt.
    If I'm feeling generous they get raisins sprinkled on top and if I have them on hand, red pepper flakes.

Extra calcium & protein & they LOFF it!

BettyR: I've got 4 of 6 moulting hard or halfway through.
    I'm down to 1-2 eggs/day - sometimes it's a tossup who gets the egg: me or them [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:LOL...I guess I'm a bad chicken mom because I give them feed but then they have to go out in the pasture and find their own "treats". This is unless I find a few cockroaches in their feed barrel in the morning. I toss those out to them and they love it. They snatch the roaches up and play chicken foot ball with them. I think I enjoy watching it as much as they enjoy playing it.

5. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    Just because you don't give them treats doesn't mean you're a bad chicken momma. [​IMG]

6. 2DogsFarm

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Well...
    I consider the oatmeal/eggs/yogurt more of a feed supplement than a treat.
    Extra protein & calcium, ya know [​IMG]

Thanks to a resident redtail hawk and some persnickety neighbors, my girls get limited freerange time - a couple hours after I get home from work and longer on weekends.
    But yes, I have noticeably fewer garden pests since they started patrolling the acreage.

"Treats" are the BOSS and occasional raisins I toss to them just so I can watch & listen to the Feeding Frenzy that results [​IMG]

7. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:LOL...Thanks

Quote:I know what you mean about the hawks. Thankfully we have a lot of cover for our chickens to hide under but this time of year there are a lot of hawks and eagles that migrate through our area heading for Mexico. A couple of weeks ago, all hell had broken loose out back and I went running out with my shot gun to see what was going on. A group of hawks came through hunting in a pack...the chickens had sounded the alarm and ran for cover. Everybody got away except my poor old cat. Those freaking birds had killed my cat and were eating it. It's illegal to shoot hawks or any other bird of prey here and the cat was already dead so I just went back in the house and cried. I had never seen hawks hunt in a pack like that, I don't think this is their normal migration path.

8. 2DogsFarm

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Aw Betty, that sux!
    So sorry about your old cat [​IMG]
    Illegal or not, I would have been tempted to take a shot at that hawk!

I worry about my litle barnkitty and just hope that if something does get her, it's quick.

9. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Thank you...the really sad part about the whole thing is that we have a grown kitten from one of her litters and she walked around for several days looking and calling for her momma. She would come in the house and walk around the house calling for her and she would get really depressed and lay around all fluffed up when she couldn't find her. I felt so bad for her. She seems to have accepted the loss now and seems more her old self again.

10. 2DogsFarm

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I think our animals are a lot more pragmatic about loss than we are, but they do mourn.

My little barncat was one of 2 kittens that wandered onto my farm one 4th of July 7 years ago.
    Her brother - an orange tabby - was an absolute lover & goofball but sadly I lost him to the road when they were about 6mos old.
    Indy - the survivor - is a gray/white pinafore cat and she was never very cuddly when he was alive, but after he was gone she not only became really cautious about the road, but a lot more affectionate.
    These days I am not permitted to leave the barn without giving her a 15minut lapnap, AM & PM [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by