Chicken treats, dog cookies, & Christmas cookies - a day of baking

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
Today I'm baking for the holidays. Chicken treats, dog treats, and human treats - in that order!
lol.png

The chicken treats are a variation on recipes posted here. I didn't measure anything, however. I eyeballed quantities.

I dumped into a bowl:
• some rolled oats
• some corn grits
• some cracked corn
• some black oil sunflower seeds
• some millet.

I had some cooked acorn squash in the fridge that looks & smells fine - but was in there a little too long for me to want to eat it myself. I heated the squash in the microwave, and used a potato masher to work it into the seed & grain mixture as above.

Baked in 3"-across lumps on oiled cookie sheets for ~1 hr at 300-325. Seems to turn out good!

Next up - dog cookies with pig liver from the 1/2 pig I bought direct from a farmer last fall. No measurements on this, either but consists of the remaining leftover squash, just over 1 lb of pig liver, an egg, and enough rolled oats to make a cookie-dough consistency. Pureed liver, squash & egg with an immersion blender. Added rolled oats and continued to use the immersion blender, which chopped up the oats, until the consistency got too thick - then switched to the potato masher. The dog is excited!
ya.gif

If don't run out of steam before I get to the human treats, that will be nut kolache.
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom