Chicken treats - wormy garden woes - PIC heavy

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
I asked earlier about feeding wormy squashes to my chicken and got the go ahead to do it. I plucked all the stung ones and let some new one bloom and covered them with a paper sack, but the **!@*!!@ bugs got to them anyways. And now they are going after my cucumbers and tomatoes!! I finally was catch what was stinginging it and am going to post it on this sister site to see if anyone can identify the little bugger and how to kill it....naturally if can.
Does anyone out there know of any other good natural organic gardening web sites taht may have answers for me?
Winter time is the best time for my garden because it isn't so hot and dry, much easier to tend to a garden and get worthwhile results. During summer I have a smaller garden under shade cloth, but even that it is hard to grow the tender stuff like lettuce and peas and is about a quarter of this size..almost more work that I get from it.
Anyways some of you wanted to see my winter garden, so here it is along with my wormy chicken treats.

Aloha,
Cory

Chicken treats & that *@%#%@!!*# bug:
bug3.jpg

bug2.jpg

Lettuce, bok choi, tomatoes, beans, peas, eggplants, zucchi, green onion for us:
peasbeanssquash.jpg

lettuceeggplant.jpg

tomato.jpg

here's hoping that bug is not on the endangered list ! I don't recognize it, maybe it hasn't made it to Maui yet, or maybe my chickens ate it as a grub ...

the only things I've been growing are on trees, except for the volunteer cherry tomatoes, the taro, and the herb garden, and surprisingly the free-range chickens have left all of those alone ! they prefer the Spanish needle and thorny amaranth ... WEEDS yay !

Last edited:
Maybe some guineas could eat those bugs for you?

I am jealous of your garden... it's bigger and more lush than mine is by the time frost hits at the end of season!!!!

Maybe if you check out theeasygarden.com, someone there will have ideas too.

I like your garden too!
My chickens seem to eat all kind of bugs.
I live in a hot and humid climate. I am getting ready to do some spring planting.
Oh- Go Wahines!
A lot of folks came to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl (George v. Hawaii). I met some great folks.
Good luck with your flock

WOW! You got started before I even did! I didn't get mine into the ground until this past weekend.
Did you see on the garden forum... I replied to your post. I think you should go talk to a nursery to see what those are and if there is anything you can plant to drive them away!

Back
Top Bottom