1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken treats

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickidi, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Chickidi

Chickidi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2016
    What treats can we give our chickens, our girls are 8 weeks old, have only four of them, all Rhode Island Reds.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. sphinxface

sphinxface Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    I think it's safe to say you could give any treat to chicks that you would give to adult chickens, be careful with things like cheese or yogurt because they can cause diarrhea. Also if you want to feed anything other than scrambled eggs, you'll have to give them grit. I sifted my adult grit through a fine cheese grater to extract the smaller granules and the babies eat it up like candy. I think they sell chick sized grit though?

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They will probably love meal worms. Some love scrambled egg or warm oatmeal. Just keep treats to 10% or less of their diet, otherwise they will turn their nose up at nutritious chick feed and just want their candy (treats).

4. sphinxface

sphinxface Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Be careful with fatty pieces of ham... (or honestly anything imo) I had quite a scare last night when one of my chicks inhaled some... granted she is only a month old...

5. Chickidi

Chickidi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2016
    Thank You All for your information, greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by