Chicken treats???

ChicklyManor_Manager

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
My girls are in need of some treats and I’m quite stuck on what to give them 🤔

Any treats to give my chickens in the morning???
I currently have:
-Oats (LOTS!!)
-Apples/oranges/plums
-Plain yogurt
-Bread
-A variety of veg including sweet corn, peppers, tomatoes and onions
-Beef and rice leftover from lunch today

Any ideas???

Chickie friend

Songster
Aug 9, 2020
Central TX
The yogurt would be fine, as long as it isn't sweetend
Not sure about plums or apples
Oranges probably aren't a good idea
You can use bread but its not good for them
Everything else would be fine as long as it's less than 10% of their daily food!

ChicklyManor_Manager

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
The yogurt would be fine, as long as it isn't sweetend
Not sure about plums or apples
Oranges probably aren't a good idea
You can use bread but its not good for them
Everything else would be fine as long as it's less than 10% of their daily food!
This isn’t really helpful! I’m thinking of adding oats to the yoghurt and warming it up? I saw this being done somewhere 🤔

Sally PB

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Try mixing some yogurt with their feed. I use yogurt, whey (from making yogurt), or water with the fines from their pellets to make a mash. They LOVE it! It's easy to serve warm for a treat in the cold weather.

Other treats I give are cut up grapes, watermelon (last summer), the guts and seeds from squash, fodder/sprouts, some weeds (they loved plantain and chickweed), snips of grass. Rarer treats are BOSS, mealworms, and once a week, the heel of a loaf of bread.

ChicklyManor_Manager

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
Try mixing some yogurt with their feed. I use yogurt, whey (from making yogurt), or water with the fines from their pellets to make a mash. They LOVE it! It's easy to serve warm for a treat in the cold weather.

Other treats I give are cut up grapes, watermelon (last summer), the guts and seeds from squash, fodder/sprouts, some weeds (they loved plantain and chickweed), snips of grass. Rarer treats are BOSS, mealworms, and once a week, the heel of a loaf of bread.
This helped a lot!!🙃🙃
I DO have some plantain that I’m prepared to give them!!!!

SueT

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 27, 2015
SW MO
Fruit can give them loose poop...
Whatever treats you give, keep them at a minimum. (no more than 10% of total diet.) You don't want to dilute the nutrition they get from their regular feed. What I do is wait till the end of day when they've eaten most of their feed, then offer a few sunflower seeds.

ChicklyManor_Manager

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
Fruit can give them loose poop...
Whatever treats you give, keep them at a minimum. (no more than 10% of total diet.) You don't want to dilute the nutrition they get from their regular feed. What I do is wait till the end of day when they've eaten most of their feed, then offer a few sunflower seeds.
And if ur unable to access sunflower seeds??

Top Bottom