Chicken Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NanoByte, Jul 13, 2010.

1. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    Hey,

What type of food do chickens go crazy for?

2. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Oh you'll get a mixed bag of conflictong answers here. There is a sticky post that lists good treats you can offer them, but it does seem toe a matter of taste or preference to the chickens. You just have to try things out and see what they think.

For my girls, I tried frozen blueberries a few times and they were curious about it but really didn't care for it. Even thawed or mashed. Now I did see them go after one that was sitting out for a couple days.

They love kale. I have it handy for our bearded dragon and they never refuse kale. The store ran out of kale once and I brought home some collard greens. They liked that too, but not as excitedly. May be more fibrous and it does have a strong aroma to it. They kind of like cabbage, but I prefer giving darker greens instead. Not so hot on carrots, but haven't tried it lately.

Gave them seedless grapes cut in half/quarters and chicken keep away was a great show. I only gave them 1 whole grapes each since they found their beaks sticky after running around in circles.

3. TaylorChicken

TaylorChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    San Diego,CA
    Mine LOVE watermelon,crushed carrots, corn, bread...even apple sometimes [​IMG]

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Sunflower seeds. Mine love it when I toss them a handful! [​IMG]

5. happychickengirls

happychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Mine love raisins!!! It seems to be their favorite treat so far and watermelon -they love it when its hot! An ear of steamed cooked corn they love to peck on also.

6. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Can't believe I forgot about the other stuff... They love BOSS (esp 1 in particular) and scratch. Wasn't too sure about watermelon or apples, but they were gone after a while so I know they ate it.

Said good morning to them this AM with a small handful of kale and almost lost my hand. Should have had more kale.

I'm sprouting some BOSS right now, thinking it would be easier to digest than whole seeds. Should be ready in a few days.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  8. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    this is simmilar to another thread, and as daft as it sounds chickens in some ways are like us, not everyone likes the same things, as i posted in the other thread my chickens love peas but hate cabbage, where as someone elses loves cabbage and hates peas! [​IMG] so the trick is to try them on scraps from stuff youve eaten, you will soon find out what sends them into a frenzy or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by