1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken treats

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ederob, Nov 22, 2012.

1. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    What treats do your chickens like the best and dislike? Mine love bread and apples. And dont like broccoli at ALL.

Have a good day and god bless.

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Meal worms. Fat from meat. Egg. And I buy cheap tins of sweetcorn for them :)

3. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Mine love meal worms to. Soy pods, rice, grapes, blue berries, and mashed potatoes. Also milk, butter, yogurt, cheese and lots of other yummy foods.[​IMG]

4. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

My last group of girls loved broccoli hanging from the ceiling of the coop, but had no interest in carrots. My current group seems to like everything. Mashed potatoes, noodles, bread, peanuts. I even had one of them get a hold of a barely alive bat and wouldn't give it up - chase ensued, I lost. I don't think she actually ate the bat.
    Of course the all-time favorite of all of my chickens and turkeys is styrofoam. For whatever reason they all love the stuff.
    It is fun to watch them eat peanuts. Once they learned there was nut inside the shell, watching them work so hard bashing the peanut against the ground to get the nut out, only to have someone else steal it, is hilarious to watch.

5. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Styrofoam? LOL, what's that? is that polystyrene, if so, wouldn't that do them damage?

Mine love blueberries and grapes too, but not so keen on strawberries.

What I find interesting is that the chickens I have had from young don't bother eating greens that I give them... they look at me like "I want ham or grapes, not lettuce!" But the two bantams that I got recently were deprived of grass and kept in a concrete yard and even though they are now kept in a garden with grass and leaves etc, they cant wait to get a hold of lettuce and other greens! They must remember the deprivation!!

6. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours like baked apples with peanut butter sauce the best, but like oatmeal as well. They used to love yogurt but I gave it to them so frequently that they now sort of just say "oh it's yogurt again" and go about their day. I'm going to be ordering some of Ashley's chicken treats this week; I feel they're old enough now for something 'solid'.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by