smcgill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Easton, Massachussetts
New to raising chickens.
What treats do they love?
How do you dispense or give to them?
I have one out of six that like dead mealworms...but the rest ...
Looking forward towards hearing from you all!
Sean

We used to give ours plain yogurt, we would just put it on like a sour cream lid, and put like a little dab of it, and they'd love it, but it's kind of messy if they run through it. If you give them something that moves they'll like it too, like some worms.

Tomatoes, leafy greens, any sort of safe bug to eat, very small and limited quantities of bread

Mine also like raisins. Anything that is wholesome and good they can have for treats. I even give mine (prekilled) pinky mice when they are babies and bigger ones as the chooks grow.

There is a list of treats on the site under resources also, it doesn't have ages. There is a good book, I think it's a Storrey's guide, that has ages in it.

I made a treat toy out of a cottage cheese container, I put a hole in the bottom , put rope threw it, tied the end and a hole in the lid to bring the rest of the rope threw the top so I could tie it. Then poked holes in the sides and filled it with scratch grain. The chickens love to shake the treats out and helps keep them occupied

I made a treat toy out of a cottage cheese container, I put a hole in the bottom , put rope threw it, tied the end and a hole in the lid to bring the rest of the rope threw the top so I could tie it. Then poked holes in the sides and filled it with scratch grain. The chickens love to shake the treats out and helps keep them occupied
could probably just poke holes in a soda bottle! My chooks LOVE playing with empty 20 ounce bottles, why didn't I think of this before?! Thank you so much for the idea silkier lover!

Not a problem :)
I got the idea at TSC actually haha I saw the chicken treat toys and it was just a plastic ball with holes in it. I wasn't about to pay $8 for that so I made my own.

Back
Top Bottom