Chicken Trivia Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by I'vegotchickenfever, Apr 26, 2009.

1. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    What do you call a chick that hatched from a blue/green egg and has feathered legs and feet? [​IMG]

2. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I'm going to guess an easter egger hen that was bred by a feather footed rooster.

The eggs should still be colored true to the hen's breed, wouldn't they?

3. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    [​IMG]
    I don't know... I was hoping someone else could tell me. Someone gave me some blue/green eggs to hatch, but he doesn't know what kind of chickens they are. Therefore, neither do I. Some are black, some are a grey/blue, and one is kinda yellow - but they have feathers on their legs/feet. All I know is that they should grow up to be chickens. [​IMG] I've researched for a couple of days, but figured y'all could answer without blinking an eye. [​IMG]

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    yeah then I stand by my earlier answer. The hen is obviously a blue/green egg layer of some sort, and she must have been bred by a feather footed rooster.

Either that or the parent chickens are all hybrids, and the hen in question happened to lay blue eggs.

5. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I hatched some that fit that description. My hen is an ameraucauna. I had her and her mate in with some silkies that I didn't think were old enough to breed....oops!
    Anyways....I call them Amerasilkies!!!! [​IMG]

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The chicks would still be easter eggers, they should lay colored eggs and since EE's can come in any color, shape, and size they can have feathered feet.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:That is the good thing about PURE EE's [​IMG] Thier description is anything that could lay a colored egg. Usually with Peacomb, but not requiered, usually clean legged but can have feather legs, can have muffs and beards, but dont have to have them. So I would say you have a PURE Breed EE [​IMG]

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:That is the good thing about PURE EE's [​IMG] Thier description is anything that could lay a colored egg. Usually with Peacomb, but not requiered, usually clean legged but can have feather legs, can have muffs and beards, but dont have to have them. So I would say you have a PURE Breed EE [​IMG]

A hatchery americana/easter egger has certain characteristics due to being an ameraucana hybrid (pea comb, usually green or slate legs, muffs/beard, etc) and is bred to lay colored eggs. They are not just any old mix and they don't come with feathered feet. California whites and sexlink chickens are examples of other purposeful hybrids (mixes).

EEs are a mix, but not mutts -- kind of like cockapoos or labradoodles. You breed a labrador retriever to a large poodle and you don't know exactly what you'll get, but the resulting puppies are still very popular and expensive.

You can see here how alike easter eggers actually
    are - different colors, but obvious similarities.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128806&p=9

The OP's chicks are probably an easter egger 'mix'. Since they have feathered feet, they have probably also picked up other characteristics from their father and they won't look like the EE's we get from the hatcheries and feed stores. I don't know whether or not they will lay green eggs since only one parent had the green egg gene.

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'vegotchickenfever :

What do you call a chick that hatched from a blue/green egg and has feathered legs and feet? [​IMG]

I'd guess that it is an easter egger mix. What kind of combs do they have and do they have poofy/fluffy faces?​

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:From the thread you referenced above

Easter Egg Layer/EE/Americana
    Breed info:not a true breed or APA recognized, mixed breed
    can have Ameraucana traits but is not an Ameraucana b/c to be so it must be a recognized variety from standardized color varieties and breed true
    EE's are common, from mixed breeding with Ameraucanas and Araucanas and hatcheries
    Comb:any-Buttercup, Cushion, Pea, Rose, Single, Strawberry, V-Shaped
    Wattles:possible
    Ear Tuffs:possible
    Eye:any
    Earlobe:any
    Features:can have muffs and a beard
    Beak:any
    Skin:any
    Legs:any or green
    Eggs:has blue egg gene, eggs are blue, green, olive green, brown & pink

Also read what the hatcheries claim that they are from ARUCANA and Labradoodle and peekapoos are MUTTS if you breed 2 things and get a mix of results you have Mutts, regardless of what price you can get for them, They do not breed true.

How can you think that it is a BREED? at best you can guess what you will get, but when hatcheries claim you may get a variety of colors/feather type/ face type/ egg color Anyone can claim thier NON pure breed chicks to be a Easter Egger, I have not read where feathered legs is a disqualifying trait. That is because they are not recognized. Never have been, and until they breed true, never will be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-breed_dog

So to the OP you can call your chick whatever you want, I would call it an easter egger

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by