Chicken Trophies from 1909

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sore Thumb Suburbanite, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I was cleaning out a basement here in southern california (basements are none too common here) with my cousin, we found about 6 silver trophies from the early 1900s for American buff plymouth rock chickens, I also have some old photo albums showing their chicken houses from that era and some free ranging chickens. I am the only person I know to whom these delightful trophies would matter or appeal to, so I'm really happy to have found them. I was also wondering if the club that gave them still existed... the american buff plymouth rock club...
    I cleaned one up first to see if it was actually silver... it was blacker than the trophy next to it (which hasn't been cleaned) I love the art nuevo shape!
    Just had to share this with you guys, its just too cool to keep to myself.

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Definitely appeals to me. [​IMG] But pics of the old pics are a must!

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    [​IMG]
    Cool find!! [​IMG]

4. BHyder1

BHyder1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Missouri
    WOW!! what a great find.. any ideas who owned them?

5. Hi Candice! I'm glad a 'chicken-lover' discovered them so they can be preserved and appreciated.
    Can you scan the old pics? I know everyone here would love to see them.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

cool! be careful about cleaning them up. I think sometimes that decreases the value.

7. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I didn't post the pictures because they were so small and faint, but here they are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know who they belonged to, but unfortunately their son had no children and died years ago. The home is being rented to my cousin by their nephew who is in his 90s and lives in michigan I think. He and his children took all they wanted from the house and shoved the rest in the basement, they told my cousin she could go through it if she wanted. Consequently, I was invited and I've been lucking out with amazing finds ever since.

They really seem like they were a neat family, I'm glad to have some of their things, especially chicken related things! I'm going to get a hen of the breed they showed in honor of them.

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    amazing find... i would love to have one of those in my room... *hint* *hint*

LOL...

9. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

awesome! [​IMG]

10. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    That is so cool! The pictures are neat, too! It would be neat to do some research and figure out how much theyre worth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by