Chicken trouble

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Calicat1, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Calicat1

Calicat1 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Marshall Michigan
    Hi My name is katie. I have 20 chickens 1 rooster. My chickens peck at 1 of my chickens every time they come in contact with each other. I don't know what to do! I don't want her to die she's really special to me. Recently the chickens started pecking at another one, what's going on! Need some help please!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    It's okay! Chickens have a natural pecking order. That is who's the boss and who is not. It sounds like the one being picked on is the lowest. You have a lot of hens and may want to consider getting another rooster to help straighten things out! Good Luck and Good Job!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] It may be the chickens are working out a pecking order. But if they keep ganging up on one chicken or another - you can send the pecking ones to time out - put them in a cage/ or cages for a couple of days. Chickens have poor memories. After that time try them together again - and see if they leave your favorite alone this time.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may be a dominance/pecking order situation, boredom or a nutritinal situation. What are you feeding, and how much space do your birds have? Welcome to the forum - sorry for the circumstanes.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I X2 the previous three posts! Good advice from all!!!

6. Calicat1

Calicat1 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Marshall Michigan
    Thanks a million! I'll try out all of your advice. We have 1 rooster his name is max and the females name is sweetie, sweetie is the one getting pecked. She is the bottom class chicken but I love her soooo much. U guys probably just saved her life!

7. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Glad to hear it! Let us know how things go!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by