Chicken troubles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken guy1234, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Chicken guy1234

Chicken guy1234 New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    I have a Rhode Island Red that has started to loose feathers. She and my Silver Laced Wyandott are both not laying. My wayandott does not have feather loss but the RIR is loosing feathers on her breast and wings. I do not think it is mites because my other chickens do not have feather loss. Please help!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like they are molting.

3. Chicken guy1234

Chicken guy1234 New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    would that effect them laying

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Most certainly ^.

It takes a lot of energy to change their feathers. Imagine if you had to shed your shin and grow it all back.
    You might want to give your flock a higher protein diet if their moults get bad. Protein will help them get new feathers and recover quicker.

5. Chicken guy1234

Chicken guy1234 New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Ok thanks, What about my other chicken, she is not moulting but isn't laying either?

6. cluckcluckluke

Are you in Winter or Autumn?

If so then day light hours will be decreasing and chickens laying cycles are closely connected to the amount of day light they are getting. So your non moulting hen is probably being affected by this. Also she maybe just getting ready to moult.

You can however fix this problem by putting a light in their roost so they think it's still day. Put it on a timer so it come on at like 5am, then they are getting a full day of light ( 5am - 5 pm ).

I don't do this though, 1 because I don't have electricity running down to my coop and 2 I isn't exactly natural. Chickens should be allowed a break to moult and restock on their calcium levels etc.

7. Chicken guy1234

Chicken guy1234 New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    It is winter, and I do have a light, she must be getting ready to molt as well

8. cluckcluckluke

That's what I'd say.

So I'd give a higher protein feed and some ACV if you don't already[​IMG].

9. Chicken guy1234

Chicken guy1234 New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    ok, someone else told me to give her some chick starter feed bc it has more protein, would you agree

10. cluckcluckluke

Yeah. Chick feed, turkey raiser or you can just buy meat meal which is pretty much 100% protein or something.
    If chick feed is easier for you then yes that should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by