Chicken truck rescue still has issues, need a poop diagnosis?

GA_Gypsy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
N. Georgia
Still trying to help this "little chick." Perhaps a few of you might remember her....neighbor found her at a rest stop in Mississippi and drove her back to us in GA (fell of a chicken truck headed to a factory). We've had her about a month now and she was doing soooo well! Someone told us that she was too old to lay, but last week she DID lay her 1st egg (for us) and has had one every day since! We are so proud of her that she feels comfy enough here to do that. Let's us know that we're doing SOMEthing right, but she still has poopy problems.

First off, her behind is still looking like a battery cage butt. I thought it was getting better, getting some little feathers growing, but then all of a sudden it just gets raw all over again ( the other hens start to peck at her so I constantly have to seperate her) See pic...

Then her poop has never solidified. We've been feeding her a good grain diet and let her out in the evenings to let her get some free range time in. She still is learning to scratch and eat grass and grubs (really sad how horribly she must have been treated).

So when I let her out this morning, she just let it go as soon as I opened the garage door so I thought I'd take a pic. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THAT???? That was pretty gross.

Thanks for any/all thoughts or opinions. We're just so proud of her and are trying to give her a good life here since she had a bad one before
sad.png

85734_2011_0802004.jpg

85734_2011_0625008.jpg

85734_2011_0625017.jpg

Poor thing!!
hit.gif
Does she have access to grit? Almost looks like the food isn't very well ground up. And what is the red - did she eat some tomato or is it blood? I am still fairly a newbie, so hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help. You are a special kind of person to take on that kind of responsibility - I wish you the best of luck!
hugs.gif

My Mom chased down a hen across 4 lanes of traffic when the hens flew out of a truck. My mother dropped her at our house and we found her when we came home from work, before home computers--so we were learning as we went. Her butt looked just like this--my husband sprayed ours with the purple wound spray you can use with livestock. She healed up and was getting around well within 2 weeks. Unfortunately, My Aunt brought my young cousin over( unbeknown-est to us) fed her cave cricket that were laying all around one day when I was at work-- turns out that my husband had sprayed the area with poison, and the bugs had died from that, it also killed Mrs. Prissy
sad.png
. I cried all night, usually a short cry--turns out I was pregnant with our daughter.
Can't answer for the stool, but I don't remember seeing that.

She's cute!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky you!!! Not sure about poop, but have you treated her with any antibiotics or maybe some corid? I would give it a shot

She looks like a broiler chicken to me but I've never seen one with a large comb that flops over to the side like that. Either way, whenever you remove a chicken from a battery cage and let then scratch in the dirt, you are exposing them to all kinds of organisms in the soil that they've never been exposed to before. I think this ends up killing a good number of rescued battery chickens. Most have been on antibiotics and their immunity systems have never had a chance to develop normal immunity. It may take awhile. The watery droppings don't look that unusual to me for a stressed or frightened chicken. Opening the garage door probably scared the poop right out of here. Releasing water and whatever undigested food that's in the tract lightens the load and makes for a quicker flight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom