Chicken tucks its neck under here and seems to spasm.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tpeterson, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Tpeterson

Tpeterson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    Can some one please help me? I am new to chickens and not sure what to do, I have a chicken that was a real good egg layer. She lost the ability to get up on the roost. she then started laying eggs in the straw on the coop floor. Now she has stopped laying, I have here isolated from the rest of the chickens. She seems to have a neck spasm, she will tuck here head under here like she is cleaning here chest but she does not have control of here neck function. it seems to be a spasm but if I lightly hold here head it seems to make her more comfortable and the spasm stops. stress seems to start a new spasm. Please help me it breaks my heart to see her like this.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. It sounds like she could have wry neck.

3. Tpeterson

Dec 12, 2012
    thank you, I talked to a vet on the phone he thinks mereks. looking on the internet mereks does not seem to fit. I will study wry and learn about that. again thank you.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It's no problem at all. I believe Marek's can cause neck paralysis but I'm not positive. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

5. Tpeterson

Dec 12, 2012
    sorry I was not very clear. The neck does not hang down like I see in pictures of the internet when looking at wry neck.. she holds the head tight to her belly or chest. I have looked at here eyes and they are not blue gray like in the pictures for mereks. I think that is good news.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Capillary worms in the crop can cause this. Worm her with safeguard liquid goat wormer orally undiluted, use a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc orally, redose in 3 days, then redose again in another 3 days. Discard eggs for 14 days after last dosing.
    Pull the wattles down and her mouth will open, shoot the wormer in her mouth and immediately release the wattles so she can swallow on her own and not aspirate.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. DWilkins

DWilkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    You mentioned Marek's .... I have a young silkie. She has paralysis in her legs, yet they respond to our touch. She is eating, drinking and generally in good health. She was fine one day and the next wasn't able to jump in the coop. After searching the internet for a Vet in our area that knew about birds , we were told that given her sysytoms , she was in serious need of calcium. ( Her last egg that we had to help her with, had soft spots where the shell wasn't hard, she has also laid an egg before without a shell). We are now giving her calcium twice a day . Has anyone ever experienced this before? She has been unable to walk for a week now.Does this sound like Marek's?

8. Tpeterson

Dec 12, 2012
    Thank you I will try the worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by