Chicken Tumbleweeds!!

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
So, I think I am recovered now....from yesterdays events....What a morning!!
I went out around 7:30 am...to feed, water....like always. I was taking my time....chatting with the piggies.....the bunnies...and I hear thunder off in the distance. Hmm...guess we might get a storm...doesnt look too bad. So, I let the free rangers out. This consists of our RIR/X, 3 new little Barred rock pullets...and 2 little pullets I hatched out. They are all scratching around, I pick up the pace a little...and as I come from the Shop...here comes the wind. Now...I dont mean...." its windy" I mean...straight line, 50 mph winds...out of nowhere! My rabbit hutch is swaying....and I can just see it getting ready to go. The willow tree over the pig pen is touching the ground....the pigs squealing, and running back and forth frantic!! Then, something catches my eye. One of the little BR pullets....head down...wings tucked...eyes squinted...walking into the wind, trying to get back to the coop. Nope, she didnt make it....over she goes backwards...like a tumble weed!!! She is rolling across the ground....then another pullet..there she goes.....so I run out into the storm, to gather the tumbling chickies....and try to get them in the coop. Im soaked head to toe.....lightening cracking all around me.....deafening thunder...and my big old RIR roo....standing in the doorway, looking at me like I have lost my mind!! Everyone is safe...and the storm only lasted about 15 minutes. But WOW...what a LONG 15 minutes...trapped in a metal building...wet...and scared!! Next time I hear thunder....the free rangers dont get to free range! LOL

That sucks.. We had a thunderstorm yesterday too.. although the building I was stuck in was wood.. (our shead) the chickens were safely hiding under it.. ocasionally poping out in the door to say hi..

but I had to laugh a bit thinking about tumbled chickens..

Chicken tumbleweeds
lau.gif
that is too funny

poor little chickies! Shame on you!!
lau.gif
J/K

Glad you are ok!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom