Chicken TV - Roo and Hen making a nest

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HorseFeatherz NV, Jan 6, 2010.

1. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

The other day I was out videoing chickens and heard a bubbling noise coming from the coop. Stepped inside and caught this – warning 3 minutes of boring chicken behavior (or so I have been told), but I thought it was interesting (I am easily entertained). The parrot cage they are in houses 3 young roos for the night - roos are put out in the AM. Burlap bag hangs in the door way of the cage so no one gets trapped inside.

The roo is my Splash Orpington Versace and one of our Delaware Hens – Lacy (she is the only LF laying right now – I do not supplement with lighting).

[​IMG]

The soft bubbling/gurgling is Versace talking to Lacy – Lacy has the louder voice.

2. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    So cute and so sweet!! [​IMG] I feel soothed just listening to Versace. [​IMG]

The range of vocalizations that chickens make is fascinating (at least to me -- I guess I'm easily entertained as well). It would be interesting to start a thread to see what sort of chicken vocalization "dictionary" we could come up with.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I call it "chumbling" - for chicken mumbles. I love to listen to them. Especially when they are putting themselves "up" for the night in the coop, discussing who gets to roost where.

I would never be bored by chicken behavior![​IMG]

4. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    Quote:The roosting discussion is always pretty funny, especially when everyone rearranges themselves for no apparent reason. I would love to know what the rationale is since on the surface it isn't immediately peck order-based. Mumbling as they do stuff like pick a nest box, etc. is also very cute.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I must confess...........I get lost in "chicken time" and can spend hours watching and listening to them. All the flock dynamics and different relationships. DH thinks I am easily distracted..............."oh look there is a bird". I say [​IMG] I am just observant. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by