Chicken Unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greatoutdoors, Aug 25, 2010.

1. greatoutdoors

greatoutdoors In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Brampton
    Hi.
    A few days ago we noticed that one chicken of ours was unable to walk properly (she seemed to be hopping around on one leg).
    She is not eating that much and there doesn't seem to be any injuries or swellings on her affected leg.
    She can barely even hop now and hasn't laid an egg for a few days now. (she's over a year old)
    She just sits around now and sleeps a lot [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with her?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    She is not eating that much and there doesn't seem to be any injuries or swellings on her affected leg.
    She can barely even hop now and hasn't laid an egg for a few days now. (she's over a year old)
    She just sits around now and sleeps a lot [​IMG]

This evidence sounds to me like she is egg-bound. I dont know what couldve caused her bad leg, but with this evidence, she sounds egg bound. You should read up on egg-bounds. I have a thread under Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures called Updates: Hen now recovered from being egg-bound about when my hen my egg-bound a few days ago. I just bumped it for you to read. I would check it out.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: