Chicken unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kcogswell, Jul 27, 2013.

1. kcogswell

kcogswell Hatching

Feb 20, 2013
    Help I have an Americauna hen about 4 months old. Earlier this week we noticed that she was walking funny, almost like she was drunk. We checked her over good for injuries and found none. We isolated her and began giving electrolytes. She is eating and drinking well on her own. It has been 5 days and now she hardly walks at all. Her eyes are clear and poo seems normal. There are no others symptoms that I have noticed. After Reading some of the forums I check for paralysis and her toes curl when I touch the bottom of her feet. She seems fine above the knee joint but below that her legs just flop around although she is able to move them she cannot stand. Any idea?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suspect Mareks disease. I hope it is not. There are different kinds of Mareks disease, and I am not an expert at all, but I think chickens can get a certain type later on rather than the usual 6-12 weeks that is more common. She is just beyond that age. I would get her on some chick vitamins or PolyViSol (no iron) baby vitamins as soon as possible. Here is some info on Mareks, but there is much more if you search: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

3. kcogswell

kcogswell Hatching

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks, I will definitely get the vitamins started and hope that is not Mareks. Is it common for only one in a flock to get this or show signs? We have 7 total 5 are the same age as this one and 2 are about 4 weeks older.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think some chicks can be immune. Some may come down with it at different times. I really know very little about it, and am trying to learn. There are many BYC people with Mareks in their flock and much experience, and many are willing to educate. Nambroth and Seminolewind are two names I remember, but there are many more you can look up on here. Click on this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-virus-the-most-frequently-asked-questions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: