Chicken unstable, can not walk or lift head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mollyg225, Aug 13, 2014.

1. mollyg225

mollyg225 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Hey everyone my poor buff Orpington has been living in my house since last November. We brought her inside when she was stuck in the snow outside the coop at night. We thought she was getting better but it has gotten a lot worse now. Before she could manage to stand for a little an take a few steps... However now she can hardly stand and can't hole her head up for long while laying down... She has not laid an eggin about 6 months... However she is still eating like a pig and drinking her water... I have no idea what it could be or how to help her... We think she might be going blind now as well but not sure yet please help she is the sweetest girl ever and deserves all the help she can get!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Could you give some details about what she was like or any injuries she suffered (ie--frostbite, etc.) How old is she? Did she have a Mareks vaccine? Mareks disease seems to be a possibility.

3. mollyg225

mollyg225 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Well she did suffer from minor frostbite on her crest but no where else ... However it does not seem as though she has any injuries because she can stand for a minute but then she falls down... And she has been eating like a pig and crawling over to her water dish... I have considered mareks because she was not vaccinated but I don't think that's it only because she has come in contact with other chickens after showing signs of the symptoms of mareks and the other chickens are still fine....

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. mollyg225

mollyg225 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Please help she is sitting up more but eyes are swollen now and she has to squint...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by