Chicken Vaccine Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadee423, Aug 2, 2014.

1. chickadee423

chickadee423 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Sooo... I hatch alot of chicks but i want to start vaccinating them because alot of my older chicks died from disease. What diseases should i vaccinate them for?

2. Catmoose1347

Catmoose1347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Washington
    Two common vaccinations are against Merek's and coccidiosis. I wouldn't recommend giving the coccidiosis vaccine, as it is a live virus and actually kills many chicks that get the vaccine. Medicated starter protects against coccidiosis, but like anything, isn't fool safe. The the chicks get the vaccine, the shouldn't be given medicated food, because the medicine renders the vaccine useless.

Merek's is the #1 killer of chicks, but is relatively rare in backyard flocks. I'd say get this one if you have a large number of birds since it is extremely contagious.

What I do with my birds is give them a clump of dirt from the area they will be living in when they grow up in their brooder usually at about three days of age. This allows them to slowly build up their resistance to diseases they will be exposed to.

3. Catmoose1347

Catmoose1347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Washington

Adult birds naturally have immunity to this, so it's not necessary to get this vaccine if their older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by