Chicken Vaccines

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimmy Bear, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Kimmy Bear

Kimmy Bear New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    I only plan on having a max of 3 chickens I don't own any yet, how much is it usually to get a chicken vaccinated and what are the standard vaccinations? do they need them every year? I currently don't get my indoor parrots vaccinated do I need to get them vaccinated too? Is anyone from around Ferndale MI where do you take your chickens for this?

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Most of the time, you order chicks already vaccinated. At the very least, I would have them vaccinated for Marek's.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You could call your state agriculture department and find out what poultry diseases are prevelent in your area, then consider vaccinating for those diseases, if any at all.

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Dawg, that's a great idea!

However, I betcha they wouldn't tell me that Marek's is prevalant but it is in my backyard and I still don't have a clue where it came from!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yeah, I agree with you. But in some states certain types of diseases are reportable to the state to keep statistics to see if there's a major outbreak threatening commercial operations. I have no clue which states do it though. Sometimes a local county extension office can provide that info as well.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by