chicken versus duck supplies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mini Moe, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Mini Moe

Mini Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    Why is there so many things for chickens (chicken coops, waters, feeders, etc..) and not so much for ducks? Don't get me wrong...I think chickens are pretty cool but I think the duckies are getting the short stick. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but let's face it... those tiny little water dribblers for chickens wouldn't work for ducks!:/

It really started from the beginning, after we purchased our very first day-old duckling. The whole water thing was perplexing. Ducks need water to eat, so you buy the little red/waters and soon realized, the standard chicken waters weren't very deep. To find something that's deep enough so they can clear their nose holes but not so deep that they could get in and drown at first. As they started getting bigger, they really couldnt get a drink without the possibility of getting their bill stuck. These are just a couple things I've noticed.

So...we are left with our own to devise... bucks for waters and feed, dog houses for shelter or an extensive remodel of chicken coops, since they need a two story w/ladders. Please tell me there are business that carry just as much ducky products as chicken products?!:bow

If you've read this to the end, chances are you were thinking the same thing!

Thanks for reading...
    Sandy

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Basically because most things you can use from chickens... and buckets, livestock bowls do the job just fine. Unless your buying premade coops it;s not hard to built duck friendly versions.

I do use chicken waterers just they can't be the only water option because of the need to clean nares..

now i do know this site, Premier 1 tells you what is good for ducks and what isn't(for chicken supplies)... plus has some waterfowl recommend things too.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. mommakurk

mommakurk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    Amen!!!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I keep thinking that if I were a little smarter, I could make this into a business opportunity… Maybe that's your calling?

5. Mini Moe

Mini Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    OMG... Premier1supplies is an awesome site. Thanks for the link. I only wish i were creative enough to come up with new & unique duck supplies but I'll certainly keep that in mind.

It would just be nice if I were to do a search for duck houses, it would reply back with duck exclusive products!:confused:

thanks again, Sandy

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Now that you've posted it, I would not be surprised within a year that someone will do just that - specialize in duck supplies.

7. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    My dad used to use the dog dishes that ya screw a 2 liter bottle to for his ducklings he started with a small size and took it up to larger size as duckling grew idk if this helps ornot

8. toowoombapekins

toowoombapekins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I was wondering the same thing
    Everything is labelled for chickens

I have the same problem with the drinker. I've actually ordered one of these from Ebay, one of the few products I've found especially designed for ducks.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROYAL-RO...719995?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3cd3fea9fb. Should arrive tomorrow

When I googled duck coops, it only ever comes up with chicken coops. I only got my first ducklings before xmas and had no idea of what sort of housing suits pekins. But I took my chances on a chicken coop, which only after less than 2 months looks like it's going to be too small, and turns out ducks aren't that great climbing up ramps, so the upper level is fairly much useless. I've found an alternative now, it's expensive but it's nice.

I had to do my research on duck food. Lucky I did, because apparently medicated chicken food is dangerous for ducks! I would have assumed any chicken food would also suit ducks, but certainly not so!! Once again it would be good if they at least labelled certain chicken foods as 'duck safe'

I realise that they ducks & chickens can share several products, but ducks never rate a mention....
    Not sure how it is in other countries, but seems in my local area at least, everyone seems to ask 'why ducks ?' when I say I have pet ducks! No one ever asks 'why chickens!'

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Those are clever, wish i could get something like that here lol I am not in the US either and getting even chicken supplies is a treat(drip that with sarcasm) nobody asks why ducks but they don't know all the varieties and even for chickens, the feed mill had no idea you have chickens that lay coloured eggs. [​IMG]

For coops, yes.. keeping it a bit more simple(not so high) and bigger unless your dealing with banties. I do get the frustration i started into ducks first, then chickens most it's the reverse. As well, i think the popularity for keeping ducks for other than meat has risen dramatically over the last few years and that has changed the demographic but it takes years for companies to get a clue, so to speak.

Things i love for ducks? all of these below i use for ducks.. the rubber bowls are great for water, bathing and food(the teeny ones) the green feeder is a good one for a bigger flock and outside, you can get lids! and the metal one that hangs is in my main barn. 25lb size. The waterer is large enough trayed for ducks now it can only be combined with larger waterer for nare cleaning but this one does keep water a tad cleaner lol and finally my heated pail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by