Chicken versus SNAKE! Can I get an ID?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Hey! My kids just came running in saying one of my chickens had a run in with a snake. Not sure if the snake got in a bite or not, and it's pretty small. Chicken took off running, of course, when the kids began screaming and yelling in horror [​IMG]

Anyway, took a couple pictures hoping I could get an ID from someone. Tried a few websites, and have guesses, but I'm not sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

checkered garter snake..
    also called an eastern garter

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    He looks like a gopher or garter snake. He's probably there hunting mice.

4. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Glad I didn't behead the thing out of fear [​IMG]

Thanks!

5. yinepu

the babies actually like earthworms, small fish and toads.. that one would have been a baby

6. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I always thought that garter snakes had 3 stripes. I never saw a checkered one. Interesting.

7. yinepu

Quote:yeah.. they have all kinds of patterns... I had several adult easterns that were pregnant as pets.. they have live birth (dont lay eggs).. i came home from work one day and found hundreds of teeny baby snakes all over the house where two of the moms gave birth while i was out.. I was finding baby snakes for weeks.. under rugs... beneath couch cushions.. in my shoes.. I know i never did find them all..

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It's a Chicken Snake, that's what it is! [​IMG]

9. Violet5

Violet5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:yeah.. they have all kinds of patterns... I had several adult easterns that were pregnant as pets.. they have live birth (dont lay eggs).. i came home from work one day and found hundreds of teeny baby snakes all over the house where two of the moms gave birth while i was out.. I was finding baby snakes for weeks.. under rugs... beneath couch cushions.. in my shoes.. I know i never did find them all..

[​IMG]:sick:sick:sick:sick

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Yeah, snakes show up in the strangest places. Like the other day, I was looking in the back of the Bator for chicks, and there sat a big fat snake, eating another chick!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by