Chicken very ill, need urgent advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haf, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Haf

Haf In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2017
    Hi, my family are new chicken owners. We have 2 white Sussex hens. Recently we came back from holiday and found one of the hens incredibly ill. Whilst we were away we left her with relatives (I regret this greatly now!) And I think they told us that the hens coop would leak and get wet during the night.

When we came to collect the hens, their coop in general looked nasty and damp (according to my brother). Now the youngest of here hens is obviously ill and I don't know what's wrong with her, I don't even know where to start.

Shes very inactive because she's weak, she sits in one spot and when she gets up to try and move you can tell it's a struggle. She move slightly and then feels weak and slump down again. She won't eat AT ALL. Yesterday she was drinking a lot and late evening she 'vomitted' the water back out. Now I understand chickens don't vomit but I think the water came out because she was drinking a lot and eating nothing. Today it looks like she's not even drinking very much.
    Often he truffles to breath, like it's heavy and gurgling. Occasionally she'll suddenly wake up and shake her head like she's trying to cough something out. When she does poop its watery and slightly yellowy. Sometimes it comes out when she strains. She hasn't laid in a few months as before we went abroad she was slightly broody.

I don't know how old they are since my dad bought them from a friend. I think they must be around 2-3years.

Is there any hope for her? I feel so guilty for leaving them and I hate the thought of her being in any pain at all. It breaks my heart because she was the most active of the two, she would run around all day without getting tired.

Please advise any medication.

2. Impatient

Impatient Songster

Aug 29, 2017
    GA
    First off, you need to get some food in her to raise her energy. An electrolyte/vitamin packet like save a chick brand added to water and eyedropped into her beak may help jump-start her to eat a little. You could also try sugar water. If she's gurgling, that sounds like a respiratory issue, especially considering the conditions she was in. Main thing right now is KEEP HER IN QUARANTINE and wash your hands after interacting with her EVERYTIME. If it's infectious, you want to keep your other hen healthy.

Wyorp Rock and Tlmcq like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Haf :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear you hen is ill.
    Do you have vet care?

From your description, it sounds like she was housed with your relative's chickens (another flock)?

Putting your location in your profile is very helpful when asking for help -this lets us know what type of medication may be available to you. Since you mention you were on "holiday" I'm thinking you are in Europe(?) possibly the UK?

She may have encountered another strain of Coccidiosis that she is not accustomed to and it sounds like she has a crop issue as well (could also be an illness that she picked up from other chickens). Having a fecal float test for Coccidiosis overload would be a good idea.

You can try treating with for Coccidiosis with Amprolium (UK this I believe it's called Coxiod). Her crop issues - you will need to try to treat as well. Get her drinking well, only offer wet feed or soft foods like hard boiled egg, no treats like corn, scratch, etc. Make sure she has a source of grit (crushed granite) so her crop can function well. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

She may have something else going on like an internal laying/reproductive disorder since she laid eggs in a few months. Check her over for any signs of swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen. While your at it, look for any mites/lice that she may have picked up from the other coop she was housed in.

Keep us posted.

4. Haf

Haf In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2017
    Hi I apologize I wasn't very descriptive. So my neighbours are not chicken owners, but they were the only place we could leave our hens. I obviously now regret leaving then there. Is there a chance it could still be Coccidiosis?

I live in the South of the UK. Unfortunately my parents are unwilling to pay the cost of the vets. It's not that they don't care, but more that the cost will be crazy high. I really did want to take her to the vets but they won't do it. Hence why I'm posting here in hopes that I'll find some help.

One thing I didn't mention is my relative garden is all grass, no hard pavement, I don't know if that matter. We actually moved our own coop into the garden.

Her comb is still red but droopy. I feed her pellets crushed up in water. I don't know know if that's any help.

5. Haf

Haf In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2017
    Yes I have been force feeding her pellets crushed up with water. I'll get a electrolyte pack right away. I'll also try sugar water.

We actually brought her inside where it's warm, since it's raining and cold outside. And the only place outside is their coop. Can she infect humans?

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Where was she housed?
    To answer you question about Coccidiosis - yes, she still could have encountered another strain since she was on "new ground" (their garden). If the coop/housing and bedding was getting wet this can be a breeding ground for Coccidiosis, mold/mildew, etc. any of these things can cause symptoms similar to what you are describing. Did the feed get wet and mold by chance?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    DwayneNLiz likes this.
  8. Haf

Haf In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2017
    I'm pretty sure the feed did get wet because it was clumpy. Is it okay for her to take Amprolium with antibiotics?

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What type of antibiotics are you using?

10. Haf

Haf In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2017
    I've been advised by azygous to use either amoxicillin or penicillin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: