Chicken virgin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bird_chick, Jul 15, 2019.

1. bird_chick

bird_chick In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2019
    NW Pennsylvania
    Hello-
    Ok. Let's start with the basic questions/answers....

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have never had chickens and have never really been exposed to them for extended periods. I do live in the country and have neighbors all around with chickens, so I am not completely oblivious.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have none yet, as I am still trying to sort out a shelter for them.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I do know I need cold-hardy breed(s) as I live in the lake effect area of NW Pennsylvania that is capable of getting feet of snow in a day.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I am drawn to the idea of fresh eggs and watching the antics of the chickens and maybe having at least one that wants to "hang out" with me.
    (5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I like feeding birds to my various types of feeders. I enjoy hiking and kayaking.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live in a small log cabin with my significant other and 16 year old daughter with our two dogs (lab/greyhound mix and golden retriever) and 2 calico cats.
    (7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC via a google search for chicken coops and joined because I want to pester the group with lots of rookie questions. :)

rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 12 others like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 7 others like this.
  3. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

4. bird_chick

Jul 15, 2019
    NW Pennsylvania
    I found your site a page or two into "chicken coop plans" search.

rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 6 others like this.
  5. N F C

N F C Edgar Allan Poe Poe

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 5 others like this.
  6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    If you get that kind of snow I recommend building a coop with an attached fully secure run with a solid roof so it can be winterized for the birds to be able to stay outside during those long cold winter days.
    For the health of the chickens you may want to consider stopping feeding wild birds as they carry disease that could infect your flock.
    I do miss feeding wild birds but so enjoy the chickens it was a worthwhile sacrifice.

7. Hi, glad you joined us!
    I look forward to your pestering!
    Chickens are addicting. I am 60 and cant think of any short stretch of my life when i did not a at least a few.
    I hope your dogs are "chicken friendly" or the easy to train obedient kind.
    I am welcoming you to the backyard with a picture of my backyard yesterday, where everybody enjoyed watermellon.
    20190714_155033.jpg

8. bird_chick

Jul 15, 2019
    NW Pennsylvania
    My neighbor’s chickens used to come to our yard to eat the bird seed the wild birds dropped under the feeder. My dogs never tried attacking them. They did scare the chickens a few times walking up to them to “check them out”. There is nothing funnier than a chicken running.

9. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Crossing the Road

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us.

rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 5 others like this.
  10. noregerts

noregerts Songster

Feb 24, 2019
    Seymour TN
    Howdy! I live in the South so I don't know much about cold-hardy breeds but others on here will. My hens don't seem phased by the cold but then again, a day in the 30s is cold here. Chickens are so great. I currently have about 30. I got a little carried away trying to get different color eggs :lau:lau. Welcome to BYC!

rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 4 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: