Chicken "virgin"

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Farmettehopeful, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Farmettehopeful

Farmettehopeful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Well, I decided to get 3 cornish x (have 3 layers coming next month) and got a freebie so I now have 4 lil chicks in an old foot locker in my "sunroom/mudroom". This room is not insulated and is all windows so the temp isn't regulated. Depending on weather it can get very warm just from the sun but right now, it is cold but doesn't have the cold from the wind and a plain wood door separates it from my kitchen. They have a 250w red light suspended in there and think I may need to lower it for night time temp changes? Is this correct or should I try to get them adjust themselves. Or should I wait to "let them adjust on their own" when their a little older? Even though my head was ready to explode with all the reading I have done on here prior to getting them, I now know that all the reading in the world never prepares you for chicks...hmmm same goes for kids lol!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You might find that it's easier to figure it out if you put a thermometer in the foot locker at chick level. Then you can figure out if you've got the right temp for their age. You may have to lower it at night to keep it the same temperature. One end of the brooder (locker) should be a bit cooler than the other end.

3. 123ChickieLou

123ChickieLou Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    I would provide a heat source that they have room to move away from if they want to. I raised mine with a 60 watt bulb in a mechanic/shop light and they self regulated by either huddling under it or sprawling with outstretched necks (looked dead, lol!) away from it. If you're concerned about heat escaping, you could cover it, off centered like with the corners open, with something simple like a piece of cardboard.

You're as nervous as a new mom! They'll be fine! You don't want to cook them. Seriously, they'll be fine [​IMG]

4. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Unfortunately my thermometer took a dive from the time I got the brooder warmed up and ready for them til I got them home so I am left without one until I can buy one tomorrow and to top it off, even my people one was out of battery juice (we don't get many fevers...its old lol) so I have no way of judging other than watching them. I am going to stay up a bit later tonight to be sure they are happy campers as the temp drops! I did lower the lamp a little bit after the sun went down today and they have room to get away from it if needed so....yep I am like a worried new mom lol. Thanks for your help and patience with us newbies!

5. 123ChickieLou

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana

I'm prety much a newbie too. I went through all the worrying too; scared to look bc I thought they might all be dead. You'll get through it. I'd like to know how it goes for you.

6. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    They survived their first night here!! I am very glad I used the bigger container so they are guaranteed space to get away from the heat. As soon as my dogs made noise this morning, I was up wondering about them lol. Came down and only saw two when I looked through the window and got worried but the other two were just too close to the side to see them lol Their overnight poop seems to be "firmer" than the runny stuff that came out yesterday...hope this is normal

7. 123ChickieLou

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    Yay!!!! [​IMG]They made it!!! See! You're doing it right. Don't worry about the poop, it cycles. It'll vary from dry and firm to runny and watery. So don't worry when you see it getting watery again. Also- you may occasionally see a little blood and what looks like innards. They sometimes shed pieces of their intestines and this is perfectly normal. There's a whole thread on poop and I have a link to another website that has pictures of all the various stages of poop. Gross, but helpful. I'll post it if you'd like.

8. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    That link would be great! I picked up 3 more today so I see a lot of different "forms" in there and it seems the newest are foamy now.

9. 123ChickieLou

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    They are addictive aren't they? The extras will help keep everyone warm. Here's the link-- and your *warning: graphic*

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

10. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Yuck! lol Thank you for the link, it makes me feel better seeing all the different kinds! They seem to be doing good so far, gotta start on their tractor soon! They are addicting and I already have more than my local ordinance allows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by