1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken voices

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buff Hooligans, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    When does the peeping turn to clucking? Mine are five weeks and still sound like day-olds.

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Because of earlier questions about this, I actually paid attention to this and made a note of it! [​IMG] Nuts, I know! Anyway, right in the neighborhood of 12 weeks, my chickens' voices changed. Hot Rod's went first. All of a sudden, no more peeping, she just kept going waah waah; she sounded like the horn on one of those clown cars, or like a goose! It was pretty funny. Within a week or so, the rest of 'em caught up, and all peeping has now ceased (14 wks yesterday). Now when I come out to the coop, I hear long loud BOOOk, and then they run to see what I'm bringing 'em. [​IMG]

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I can't wait for mine to change! Mine are 2 weeks old and really cute, but I just love hen talk! [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Thanks Cookin Mom, I've put the 12-week mark on my calendar so I can listen harder. I've also told my co-worker who split the chick order with me.
    Cluck, ClucK!

5. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Ok Rowdy is about 2 months old (give or take a week or so) and he chirps and coos at me. He crows like a rusty horn. Rocky is starting to make different sounds now.

6. hensnchix

hensnchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    With the caveat that I know nothing about this topic (we've only had chicks for three weeks), I'd like to say that I'm pretty sure our "Agnes," who is much bigger and bossier than all the other chicks, is starting to crow at 3 a.m. It's not a full-fledged "cock a doodle doo." It's more like "ER ERRR" but it's so definitely not a peep, trill, coo or other chick-like sound. Could Agnes, now dubed "Angus" be a crowing prodigy? I thought this wasn't supposed to happen until 6-8 weeks!

Susan

p.s. I know it's Agnes/Angus because I tiptoed over to the brooder last night to see who was making that noise...Angus was sitting on his perch, looked right up at me, opened his little beak and squawked "ER ERRRR."

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Hey Buff, what part of Mass are you in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by