Chicken VOMIT???? And Sad little boys.

chicks4myboys

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
My Road Island Red that is just over a year old started acting funny last night. My other three hens were asleep on thier roost and she just lay there sleeping on the floor of her lay box.
This morning all the hens came out to eat and hunt for food and Old Red was missing. She was still in her laybox but alive. I picked her up to have a look at her and a runny watery red liquid came out of her mouth. It was several Tablespoons of liquid. She could not stand and then she flapped her wings a little and then was gone. She seemed FINE all day yesterday and was just gone today. My other 3 ladies are acting fine. Anyone out there seen this before??

That is horrible! I'm sorry you had to experience something like that.

This is the only thing I could find that included any symptoms like you describe.
Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic Syndrome

Fatty liver syndrome is a condition that affects only hens. The basic cause is thought to be excessive dietary energy intake. Hereditary tendencies vary among various strains of egg production stock, but heredity is not the entire cause for this malady. Laying hens housed in cages are most often affected since they are less able to get sufficient exercise and dispose of the extra dietary energy.

Birds within a flock that are most often affected are the high producers. This indicates that physiological energy metabolism and production are closely associated with this condition. Mortality varies considerably among flocks but can become excessive in some cases. Lesions include accumulation of large amount of abdominal fat; enlarged, easily damaged liver and presence of blood clots that indicate that hemorrhages have occurred prior to death. Death usually is caused by a fatal internal hemorrhage originating in a portion of the liver. This hemorrhage is often caused as the hen is straining to lay her egg and the enlarged, friable liver is more vulnerable to injury. When a large blood vessel ruptures, sufficient blood is lost to cause death of the hen.

The primary treatment for this condition requires an alteration of the diet or amount of dietary energy consumed. Replacement of some of the corn in the diet with lower energy feedstuffs like wheat bran can provide a lower energy diet. If a complete layer ration is being fed, addition of vitamins can be of benefit. If grains are the primary feedstuff, it is suggested that the birds be switched to a complete layer diet. Control of body fat is the only successful remedy for this condition and is best accomplished by regulation and reduction of total energy intake.

thank you so much for your reply. I can see that as a possibility. Whenever I go outside my ladies come running to the sound of my voice and I typically reward them with a handful of cracked corn. Because I am entertained by them I usually do that many times a day. I will change what I feed them and hopefully none of my other girls are affected. Thank you again.

I think you'll be right to change your treats, good for you!

We sometimes use their regular crumbles as treats...you may be surprised how interested they are in regular food if it comes in the hand of the "source of all treats".

Once yours are back to a more normal food regimen, millet (cheap birdseed) is also good. Ours love it and it is in such tiny pieces that they have a lot of bits to pick up without really getting too much in fat calories. Still not too much OK?

Also, just as info, tell us what their normal food is. Somebody more experienced than me may have further suggestions for you.

Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif

So sorry to hear about your girl. It's so hard to lose them.

I assume that you've got the birds on layer feed. That's fine for a "treat", too. They'll never know the difference if you call them & give them a handful of their regular food. Chickens are funny that way.

Thank you all for your comments.
Yes they are just eating lay pellets. and what ever they find in my yard during the day. Or in my neighbors garden during the late summer months:/
The other 3 seem healthy and are all laying. I have 6 other baby chicks to add to my flock as they get a bit older. I hope they dont fight.

She could have possibly aspirated. If enough liquid is inhaled they will die immediately. She probably vomited in the process, hence the liquid coming out of her mouth. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom