Chicken vs Cat...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cetawin, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well, we had two new cat visitors arrive yesterday with a friend. He warned me that one of the cats was not trustworthy. So, when I was cleaning the girls' brooder, I was taking them outside to their tractor and it happened.

Young cat hears low rumble of the head honcho Lilly (a light brahma of 16 weeks old), cat comes running. Meanwhile, Lilly is trying to balance on my arm while I close brooder top...she is flapping and settling and cat sees her...she sees cat.

Flapping chicken begins to yell in ernest at approaching cat, cat sees her and skids to a stop while turning around, hits a wall and races to hide in another room. Meanwhile, chicken is looking at cat as if she wanted to say "What the HE** are you and why are you so stupid? Did you not see that wall?" [​IMG]

Kitty spent rest of day and evening jumping like she had a hot poker stuck to her everytime Lilly made a sound....so naturally, Lilly yelled at her each time she walked by. [​IMG]

The chicken in question is quite the bit of bossy goods....

lilly at ten weeks old:

[​IMG]

Too bad I did not have a video recorder and could operate it while holding the flapping chicken... lol

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I know what you mean, I am going to invest in a video camera soon and make my millions! My outside cat Pudster watches my birds like hawk, but if an outsider cat wanders in the chickens raise caine, the ducks go nuts, and the quail make the most hideous sounds. Needless to say Pudster has no visitors.

3. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    [​IMG]

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thats great! My big ole fuzzy cat Howard kept insisting on trying to get in the run every time I opened the gate. One day I decided I would just stand right behind him while he sauntered in and watch. Well it took about 5 seconds before he had 21 chickens charging and pecking at him! I know they were thinking...FOOD! He ran out of there like a shot, while I held the gate open for him and laughed. Now he patiently waits by the gate for me and meows. Here is Howard
    [​IMG]

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hey, Howard looks kinda like my big fuzzy stray cat -- is he a Maine Coon like mine? (I had to make a cat bed next to my computer so he can hang out there while I'm on BYC).

6. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Cetawin, is this the same Miss Lilly that chased your mean neighbor lady away once? I seem to recall a story about Lilly on the shoulder.... and a very uptight chicken-hating wife with an apologetic husband. Or is my memory failing me?

7. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Lilly is beautiful! And good for her for being so bossy!

We have an old cat that could care less about the birds and a young cat that thinks he's toucg, but runs like he's on fire every time the chickens and ducks look at him cross-eyed. I'm just waiting for him to think he's big enough to take them on - THAT will be a rodeo to see!

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Do you have a pic!? Howard was a rescue. I saw him at the pound and had to have him. He looks almost identical to a cat I had in my teens. He lived to be 18. Howard has his attitude. I am king you bring me food! I wish he liked to hang out more but he is kind of a loner until he needs food! My hubby says he reminds him of coon so much that he has ran to get the gun more than once when poor Howard was walking through the garden! Look twice, three times four times before shooting! PLEASE!!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cetawin, cute. I love it! Can I borrow Lilly? I've been thinking it's time for Killer Kitty to meet the chickens, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm hoping if I wait long enough the chickens will be big enough to put Kitty in her place.

10. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Do you have a pic!? Howard was a rescue. I saw him at the pound and had to have him. He looks almost identical to a cat I had in my teens. He lived to be 18. Howard has his attitude. I am king you bring me food! I wish he liked to hang out more but he is kind of a loner until he needs food! My hubby says he reminds him of coon so much that he has ran to get the gun more than once when poor Howard was walking through the garden! Look twice, three times four times before shooting! PLEASE!!

I like Howard's attititude!
    My Maine Coon stray is such a loverboy. He follows me around the house and insists on being not more than 10 ft away at all times. But he ALWAYS asks first if he can climb up, by putting his paw up on my leg and meouws a little question, "can i get on your lap?". If I say 'no' he settles down on the floor. He's a great cat. Well-trained. Now he has a girlfriend (spayed wild barn cat) and they rub noses every night through the screen door. Only thing I don't like is how much he sheds!!

Here's a link to pics from my old thread. His fur is growing out nicely now. (He had to be shaved when he arrived because he was full of burrs).
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48361&p=5

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by