1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken vs. German Shepherd or Polish Pullet with a death wish!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Aug 22, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We are careful about keeping my little polish pullet's crest trimmed. At first we did it hoping that better sight would mean she'd act a little less....bizarre. Turns out trimming her crest does help her see better, but does nothing for her bizarreness. She's just a crazy but sweet chicken named Pearl.

During the day while the chickens free range we walk our two german shepherds on a leash. We do this not only to be extra cautious as far as the chickens are concerned but because it's good for the dogs to remember their leash training.

So I just had all 105 lbs. of Kane the german shepherd out for a walk around the yard. Kane is indifferent to the chickens and was much more interested in the squirrel that was taunting him from a hickory tree. Then I saw Pearl. She snuck up behind Kane and pecked him on the back leg. Ever see a 105 lb. dog yelp and jump sky high?? [​IMG] I think poor Kane is going to have nightmares about it tonight.

Then it was Jax's (our older GSD) turn. Jax was also interested in the squirrel, but also aware of the chickens all around him. Jax has like 150% prey drive compared to Kane's 0%. All was well, then here comes Pearl again. She got about two feet behind Jax with her beak directed at his hock before I grabbed Jax up tight and shoo'ed Pearl away with my foot.

Crazy polish isn't going to live to see adulthood if she doesn't quit trying to bite off more than she can chew. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What can I say? Some people seem out to prove Darwin was right. Sounds like one chicken is too.

3. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I love it! Go pearl! Your GSD's sound as tough as mine! [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Pearl... ♫Leader of the pack♫

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh dear, Pearl. [​IMG] I bet she thinks she beat the dog because YOU picked it up!

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm sure Pearl thinks she beat the dog because she has that attitude about it. However, I don't think I'll be picking Jax up anytime soon; he weighs 85 lbs. [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Gritty, your birds need a poultry psychiatrist! Something is just wrong there. Have you been feeding brewery grains, or [​IMG] is there a still on the farm????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Please do not let Pearl get injured. All of BYC is looking forward to pictures of the Polish Trahmas. [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Reminds me of little Goldie- You may be bigger, but I'm meaner! [​IMG]

Git'em Pearl! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I promise I won't let anything happen to Pearl. She's my little chickie friend, the first one I've really had since I lost Lil' Bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by