Chicken w/ head tilt eating bananas? Okay?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by voliza, Jul 19, 2010.

1. voliza

voliza New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    I just adopted a several chicks yesterday, and one of them appears to have head tilt. Not sure what the cause is, but she walks around as well as she can. When she gets excited, she gets really clumsy because her equilibrium is definitely off. I read somewhere that antibiotic and vitamin therapy are beneficial. Right now I am giving her some of my daughters amoxicillin, very small amount and 1/4 of a children's multivitamin crushed up in water. She seems to be doing well since yesterday. Sometimes her head is tilted, and sometimes it's not so bad. She prefers to be inside with me, and I have her in a parrot cage.

When she is outside some of my other birds pick on her a little bit, not too bad though. I think they are still establishing the pecking order since she is new here. I kept her inside our 1/4 acre chicken pen with the friendly chicks, and locked out the bigger, badder ones from getting to her. When I went out there to let the other birds back into the pen when it started raining, she ran right to me and did not want to leave me. Right now she is sitting in a cage, eating away and relaxing.

I want to know if anyone has experience with head tilt, and how they treated it. I'm not sure if it's from head trauma, ear infection, parasites, disease, etc. No idea. I know that she is from a hatchery, and could've possibly sustained head trauma there. Who knows. Vitamins and antibiotics seem to be helping, and her appetite is great. I have been checking her crop to make sure she is eating enough too. Right now her favorite thing to eat is bananas. Is that a good thing to give to a sick chicken? I know bananas convert into energy, and provide fuel to the body. Maybe it might be good for her while she is sick? I don't have much experience with sick chickens. I'm just happy that she's actually eating something.

Any suggestions would be great.

Btw, she is a gold laced wyandotte.

2. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things. It sounds like wry neck to me, which is usually a vitamin/electrolyte deficiency. Vitamins and bananas should help. I doubt the antibiotics really help though. Could be an old injury though too.... Check out this forum posting: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=97121

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by