chicken walking like a penguin

jhallock

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
My red sex link hen has an enlarged belly that is mushy. She is waddling like a penguin. She has been acting like this for at least 7 days. We live in northern NewYork. At first I thought she was cold. When she moved away from the heat light in the coop and hid in the corner I suspected it was something more. I thought she may be dehydrated. I brought her inside for closer observation. She has never lost interest in eating or drinking. She has also been eating plain yogurt. She has been pooping but with different consistencies - sometimes normal, sometimes diarrhea, sometimes gassy. there is not an egg stuck in her vent or near her vent and i can't feel anything hard in her belly. I have given her the warm spa baths in the evening. She actually enjoys them but they don't seem to produce any results. She is cooing to me when i talk to her. Any ideas on what iI can do to remedy this?

I have never wormed any of my chickens. She is the only one in the flock acting like this. I have read a lot online about internal egg laying and egg yolk peritonitis. It seems that both of those conditions would cause her to die rather quickly. The only other change I have seen is the color of her crown is less red than usual.

It sounds like she has reproductive problems...

If you bring her an avian vet who can remove Fallopian tube, besides getting rid of fluids if she has inside, or the egg stuff raptures and adhere to her intestine, or cysts... a lot of things that you can considerate, it would be quick to solve the problem..

For my sick chicken has had the same symptom for 2 months... It started from internal layers I wonder?
I don't have the vet who can do that around here.
Her abdomen got smaller while she was in the medication, then slowly went back ..her abdomen is getting bigger and bigger.. Today is the 7th day after I stopped giving her baytril, her abdomen is still not enlarged,,but it is still full. Keeping her in the dark place is really important.

I gave her 250mg fish pen penicillin at first.. then 2 weeks later I gave her Baytril because the penicillin didn't work for her anymore..

The key is to keep her in the dark and warm place for 20 hours ( most of the time) not to have her to lay an egg, which only I can do for her now.

I never had wormed her before until I started a thread here.. I wormed her with Valbazen after just in case.

Last edited:
She is most likely eggbound. Place her in a container of warm water up to her sides and let her soak for about 20 minutes. While she's soaking, gently massage her underside front to rear. The warm water will relax and expand her innards, massaging will help move the egg along. Hopefully she'll lay an egg. Repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom