Chicken Walking on Hock on One Side

Suedan

Crowing
Sep 18, 2019
Maryland
I have a ten month old hen that walked off and on with a skip for 3 weeks that we contributed to jumping off of a high purch in her first coop. There had never been any swelling or bruising.
In the past week she began extending her one leg high in front of her and walking with a "high step" on the affected leg. She does not have the ability to curl the toes on this foot or grasp with her toes. In the past day she began walking on her hock. There is no bruising, there is some warmth to the leg and mild swelling in the hock joint.
I have her activity restricted and only have her with one friend. She is eating well.
Could this be from our rooster? Is it acceptable to splint this leg? I'm terrified of Mareks disease? Any recommendations? Thank you!

Sorry about your hen. I would be worried that the leg symptoms could be early symptoms of Mareks. Was she vaccinated? I realize that a vet may be expensive or impossible for most, but an xray of her leg might show a fracture. I do think that a sprain might be possible as well. So you could try forcing her to rest the leg in a pen or large dog crate with food and water for a few days to a week and see if it is better or worse. Super B complex is very good to use with leg issues, and dosage is 1/2 tablet daily crushed into food or a little water daily. I really hope that she gets better. There is a $20 PCR tset for Mareks test on blood serum available here that you may ask about:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

Sorry about your hen. I would be worried that the leg symptoms could be early symptoms of Mareks. Was she vaccinated? I realize that a vet may be expensive or impossible for most, but an xray of her leg might show a fracture. I do think that a sprain might be possible as well. So you could try forcing her to rest the leg in a pen or large dog crate with food and water for a few days to a week and see if it is better or worse. Super B complex is very good to use with leg issues, and dosage is 1/2 tablet daily crushed into food or a little water daily. I really hope that she gets better. There is a $20 PCR tset for Mareks test on blood serum available here that you may ask about:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
She was not vaccinated. Thank you so very much. I was not aware live animal testing was available. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom