Chicken walking wobbly after dog attach

Basia St Clair

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
My 20 week old Silkie rooster was attached by a dog about an hour ago. It has no visible wounds that i could find. No blood that i could find. Just many feathers that are matted, which means i believe the dog must have picked it up in its mouth. But I dont see any visible wounds. It so hard for me to see the Silkies skin. Its legs seem ok, but when it tries to get up and walk it is all off balance an wobbling. Like its struggling to walk. Its huddle down in the corner of the coop. I have no idea how to tell if it has a broken leg or wing. How does one do this?

What do i do? I've put all them all into isolation. Gave them vitamin water. None are drinking just yet. All seem fine but the Rooster and another pullet that seems very lethargic. Its feathers are matted the same way. No vet near by. I so dont want to lose more chickens.

I had chickens for about a year and my two layers were attached by the same dog on Friday. I moved all the chickens to a secure run, but apparently not secure enough as the dog broke down the fence. I'm so upset, beside myself. I'm electifying the fence tomorrow. IMG_20210627_161841632[1].jpg IMG_20210627_161818994[1].jpg

You've got to examine him really thoroughly. A tiny puncture wound is easily hidden in feathers and doesn't necessarily bleed.

He may have got internal injuries. A broken pelvis won't be easily identifiable for example. Or internal bleeding.

Check him over super carefully, inch by inch gently with your hands. If he flinches or gets agitated when you touch touch particular spot them you might identify an injury there. He could just be bruised.

Have you got a dog crate or similar you can put him in inside the coop to separate and monitor him but where he is still part of the flock? He needs rest for a start.

I don't usually bring them indoors unless I really have to, because separating causes stress in itself.

You've got to examine him really thoroughly. A tiny puncture wound is easily hidden in feathers and doesn't necessarily bleed.

He may have got internal injuries. A broken pelvis won't be easily identifiable for example. Or internal bleeding.

Check him over super carefully, inch by inch gently with your hands. If he flinches or gets agitated when you touch touch particular spot them you might identify an injury there. He could just be bruised.

Have you got a dog crate or similar you can put him in inside the coop to separate and monitor him but where he is still part of the flock? He needs rest for a start.
I don't usually bring them indoors unless I really have to, because separating causes stress in itself.
Thank you so much for the response. I've checked him (Cal) over the best I can. No flinching. Just lethargic. He is separated from the flock behind some chicken wire so he is still part of it. The other silkies are sitting right by him! I dont want to handle him too much, but i think i may need to go out and look again.
The other one (Snow) is just standing there frozen. I pick her up and she hardly moves, but she can walk. She seems traumatize. Maybe shock? I dont know how to tell shock form injury.

Ugh - this is so frustrating. I'm so angry, sad, upset, etc. I've called all my neighbors and no one knows who this dog belongs to. I KNOW it will be back. I'm beside myself. Its been now about 3 hours. I just keep going out, watching, praying. I dont want them to suffer either.

An additional advice - i'm all ears. I want to take care of an injury quickly if its something that can heal.

You can give them electrolytes for the shock, or something with sugar or honey in it. I'd also put some chicken vitamins in their water for the next week as that can help with stress (I zee you've done that).

I don't think there is much else you can do right now if you cannot find any external injuries. Watch and wait and give them extra TLC, and perhaps some protein rich food to aid healing. Hopefully it is just shock and bruising. Things may become clearer over the next few days.

And of course, you will make sure that dog cannot get into the coop or run, max up your security, put up that electric fence you mentioned, etc.

Wishing them a good recovery.

Your birds are likely in shock right now. You're getting good advice above, and be sure to check them over carefully for injuries. There is really no way to determine if bones are fractured without X-rays, but you can run your hands along their legs, wings, and necks to feel for full breaks (fractures are not likely going to be felt). You might try to gently move the legs/wings/neck through a few limited motions, but do so with the utmost caution.

Once you're sure there are no serious injuries that need attention, give them a safe, quiet space to recuperate for a few days with plenty of available water and food.

Where did the dog come from? Is it a neighbor's dog? If so, I'd ask the neighbor to keep the dog on their property. +100 on tightening your coop/run security.

Your birds are likely in shock right now. You're getting good advice above, and be sure to check them over carefully for injuries. There is really no way to determine if bones are fractured without X-rays, but you can run your hands along their legs, wings, and necks to feel for full breaks (fractures are not likely going to be felt). You might try to gently move the legs/wings/neck through a few limited motions, but do so with the utmost caution.

Once you're sure there are no serious injuries that need attention, give them a safe, quiet space to recuperate for a few days with plenty of available water and food.

Where did the dog come from? Is it a neighbor's dog? If so, I'd ask the neighbor to keep the dog on their property. +100 on tightening your coop/run security.
I sure hope it's still not in shock.
OP is from Jun27 ;):lol:

Back
Top Bottom