Chicken wanting to sleep away from flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tanpas, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Tanpas

Tanpas New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    One of my hens has been suffering in the heat and got a bit egg bound two days ago, I gave her a warm bath to help her relax her muscles etc and slept her separate from the others, the egg came out the next morning, although it was soft. Last night she didn't go back to the coop with the others (they free range) and I had to go hunting for her. I thought it was due to the heat, since it was still 30 degrees. But again tonight when it's now cooler she didn't want to go with the others.... I think they have been picking on her since she's been sick. So my main question is should I set her up in a hutch to sleep by herself or make her stay with the others? I'm worried that if I do let her sleep by herself that it might make the others pick on her even more.....
    Thanks for any thoughts!!

2. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    Not sure what state you are in.

If you have a hen not doing well, and a group situation is not working, then yes the hen should be separted from the rest. When you have animals that need special attention, you will have to take extra steps for their care. You should be able to get her back merged into the flock when she is feeling better. And if you plan on raising chicks from your own eggs, I would not use eggs from this hen, due to her getting egg bound. Not a good trait to be passing on.

What are you feeding them btw and how many other ones do you have ?

3. Tanpas

Tanpas New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks for answering! I'm in Victoria, Australia. I have four hens all up, so won't be breeding! I give them a 'complete feed' pellet/grain mix, shell grit and whatever they pick up in the yard while they're wandering. I've also recently wormed them and sprayed them for lice/mites etc just in case that's what's making her sick....

4. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    She might be reacting to medicine you gave her.
    She might be more sensitive.

I don't give my chickens any medicine. So far no health problems.
    I am of the opinion if there is no problem, then don't try to fix it.

You did not mention her age. Is she just starting to lay or coming out of a molt ? Then it takes a few days for their system to be working smoothly again. A soft egg would be normal in this case.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. Tanpas

Tanpas New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Sorry, brand new to the forum, still figuring out how it all works!! I talked to the people at my local stock feed the other day and they suggested the worming and spray, probably just trying to make a sale!! But I figured it couldn't hurt. They've been laying for just over a year now, but I think they have gone through a molt in the last month or two due to colour/pattern changes in feathers.
    She's my little problem child, she's the only one that lays soft eggs and this is the second time in two months I've had to give her a warm bath to help her along. Will try separating her over the next few nights and see how she goes.
    You've been a massive help! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by