Chicken was attacked and is limping!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flstcbob, Jan 22, 2014.

1. flstcbob

flstcbob Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Hello guys! I don't normally post on this forum, but I have an emergency. I recently introduced my new chickens with my old group. At night, we put all 4 of our new chickens in the coop, because we have heard that to be a recommended move while everyone else is sleeping. Everything was fine for a day until the second day. My dad comes into the house and tells us that our Egyptian Fayoumi was bleeding from her tail and is getting pecked by our production reds. I ran outside and found her in the run just standing there, not moving. It was obvious that she was in shock because another chicken came over and peck at her butt and all she did was cry a little and jump away weakly. She didn't even run away because she was so tired. I quickly scooped her up and made a home for her in the barn.

I sprayed her butt with first aid antibiotic and blue coat. The site was horrible. There was SO much blood everywhere. It has been a couple days and her butt has been getting better, but she has been limping horribly all of a sudden. She always has it raised and limps like she is going to fall onto the floor. I know she is in pain and I feel so bad. The only thing I could think of is that she got into a fight of some sort and fractured her toe, because when I took a look, her toe knuckle was swollen and crusty as if her skin chapped. I don't think she showed that she was in pain at first because she was in shock and didn't notice the pain. I don't know. I have pictures.

See? Her leg is raised high.

[​IMG]

This was her butt a few days ago before it improved dramatically.

[​IMG]

The yellow stuff is the first aid wound spray I sprayed on her, I believe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is her normal foot to show a comparison.

[​IMG]

I tried to under her foot and she had it up so high and she gets to frantic that I didn't press for a better picture yet.
    It is obvious it is swollen underneath, too :(

[​IMG]

I just am at loss as to what I should do. If it is a fracture, I know of no chicken doctors around me.
    --Edit: Her skin is also broken, too which makes matters worse.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Poor girl,first how is the wound to her tail area healing? Make sure you clean this area daily with a saline solution. Watch for infection in foot and wounds,signs of infection are: foul smell coming from wounds,wound not healing or redness/swelling spreading,black tissue,bird becoming lethargic,not eating/drinking properly.

Make sure she is kept warm,when ill birds cannot regulate their body temp,so additional heat is required. Give her electrolytes for shock,keep her inside home,keep her quiet and calm. For pain you can purchase metacam from a vet or give her an aspirin either low dose(81mg) or a reg (325mg). Dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally(wrap in cheese or meat). For additional heat you can use a hot water bottle(fill and wrap in a pillowcase or towel),bird will lay beside or on bottle depending on how she feels.

For her foot,soak in an epsom salt bath(great for sprains/sore muscles/cleaning)apply antibiotic ointment to wound,see if you can feel fracture in toe/foot. Check her leg for any leg issues,run your hand down the back of her leg starting from where it joins body(hock)to where scales start(shank)you are looking for a possible slipped tendon,if slipped you can feel it,it will feel like an elastic band and when pressed will snap back into place. Keep her wounds on foot clean also.

Make sure she is eating/drinking as birds can become dehydrated very fast. If she does not start to eat/drink,i would consider tubing her,often when injured birds just give up(stress/pain will bring this on) and you want to catch this before she gets to the point of no return.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. flstcbob

flstcbob Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    This is great to hear about the aspirin. I was wondering just that after I posted because I didn't know if it was harmful to them or not. Okay, so I will give her aspirin tomorrow. Luckily, she has been drinking water and she has been eating as well. I just have no idea what happened! Thank you for all this info. I will be sure to soak her foot ASAP. We actually have a heating lamp set up for her especially since it's below freezing over here unlike how it normally is. We will give her electrolytes too and check for tendons tomorrow.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by