Chicken was attacked and need some guidance (pictures a little gross)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buggal, Dec 12, 2016.

1. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So our flock got attacked last night or early this morning. Not sure what attacked them but we lost 5 and this sweet girl is the only one that made it out of the ones that were attacked. We only found feathers of the other ones. Our flock was a strong 26, now 20.5.
    These are pics of her back left thigh. We have her isolated and we need to know what to do next. There is very little blood, should we start her on asprin? It has to hurt, but she is walking around (with a slight limp). She even laid an egg today. Should we clean it with peroxide? I am planning on putting triple antibiotic ointment on it (without pain killer of course), but I am just wondering if I am doing the right thing. Is this injury too bad to come back from? I don't want to put her though this if her quality of life will suffer in the long run.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    You can give her Baby asprin (81mg) a day to reduce pain.There are chicken healing wound sprays at feed stores such as tractor supply.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    That is likely not lethal. Isolate her and spray area with Blu Kote. I would not treat with pain killer. Let hurt operate to prevent her from overworking the damaged skin during the healing process.

4. FaddenChickens

FaddenChickens Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Rinse thoroughly with a saline solution and apply antibiotic CREAM, the oils in ointments break down the weather proofing on their feathers. Neosporin sells a cream you can find at most drug stores, apply liberally, keep her clean and watch for signs of infection. Good luck!

5. buggal

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    Update....
    She is eating and drinking normally. She even laid an egg today. She is in a confined cage but she can walk around a little. She is acting like nothing has happened. We cleaned the area and put blue kote on it. She is doing well as far as I can tell. Will keep y'all informed as she progresses.

1 person likes this.
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I bet you will have wound closure within a week. New feathers may come in a little squirrelly.

1 person likes this.
  7. buggal

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    I hope so. She is a good girl.
    We have a barn that has a little make shift kitchen area in it and every day she would go and lay an egg on the table next to the coffee maker.
    I know she is at the house but I still look for that egg everyday when I am in the barn. Old habits die hard I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by